Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lice Check Reveals Far More Than Expected

Today I learnt that one of the children at Son's daycare has lice. Being me, I have already planned for this dreaded moment, and the Lice Kit is in our bathroom cupboard. I am trying not to be too anxious about this, but did a fast check of Son's hair tonight as he sat on my lap eating his bedtime snack. Son doesn't sit still for long.  No lice this check.  Later I decided I should probably check my own hair since I often crawl in bed with Son in the middle of the night, as I did last night at his 3:30 a.m. wake up.  As I began checking my hair I remembered my elementary school days when volunteers would come in to our classrooms and check each child's hair for lice. The feeling of the wooden picks crossing over my scalp is unforgettable. I always found it relaxing, like a scalp massage  almost, but I was too worried that they might actually find lice to enjoy it.  As I checked my hair this evening, I remembered too the feelings of anxiety, willing away any lice.  And then I saw it. Not lice, but almost as bad as lice. Irreversible.  Another white hair.  If I were blonde this wouldn't seem so bad. But the contrast between this very white hair and my very dark hair is drastic. This marks white hair number three on my head, if I don't count the other two I pulled.  I have since decided that there is no sense in pulling them out. I hadn't thought that my hair would turn so early (I'm only 33!). I have made a lot of life changes to become more natural and less processed, which is why I have vowed no pulling, no colouring. Oh dear, why couldn't I have just found lice?

No comments: