Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Confession: My kitchen is not gluten free.

Although I am gluten free, my kitchen is not.  This is frustrating and confusing at times but there are a few things that have made this easier for me and my family.  Cross-contamination is brutal for anyone with Celiac.  This means that the tiniest crumb can cause me absolute torture.  In the beginning I didn't think I was that sensitive, so I didn't think of the little things like crumbs from the toaster getting on my gf toast, or bread crumbs getting in the jam, butter, or mayo jar.  Now I know better, from experience, and have learned to be very, very careful.  This means that my family also needs to be careful. But because I can't expect them to be thinking about this all the time, and because I tend to remind to the point of nagging, I have placed little reminders throughout the kitchen.  We have two margarine containers and my gf one has a big GF written on the top, as does the mayo, jam, and peanut butter.  As for toast, well I don't like the idea of having two toasters, so I have toaster baggies made by El Peto for my bread to toast in the communal toaster.  They have been wonderful in our house, and great for when we hit the road as well.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tip my gf hat to you - I was a "short order" cook in my own kitchen for over a year - tailoring meals to suit the kids, dietary restrictions, etc. No more. Not only was there the added stress of different meals, and a PILE of dishes at the end of the day, but risk of cross-contamination ran rappant. To juggle this ~ you win BESTEST mommy and wife of the decade!
Love ya Sista