Thursday, May 17, 2012

Gluten Free/Dairy Free Pizza


Pizza is one of my weaknesses. I tried several recipes for pizza dough but they were all a bit more work than I wanted to put in for a quick, easy, delicious meal...and they weren't just right.  I should give Husband and Son star stickers for being so  patient and complimentary with all my attempts to make the perfect pizza crust.  I finally broke, swallowed my pride, and took the easy route. I bought Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix and crossed my fingers, hoping that I had found THE mix.  It was indeed THE mix.   It passes the test for Husband too. Son usually picks all the cheese and vegetables off, but that's just his thing...

There's a trick to 'rolling' out GF pizza dough though. It's not quite as easy to roll as it's non GF counterpart.  I use the round part of a wet spoon and smooth it out until the whole pan is covered. This takes some patience.

You'll notice that there's two types of cheese on this pizza, and that's because I'm dairy free as well, but Husband and Son are not.  It has been as hard for me to give up dairy as it was for me to give up gluten...maybe even harder. I find myself cheating with a nibble of cheese here and there where you'll never ever catch me cheating with gluten.  I found Daiya and it has saved me.  It doesn't look quite as appealing in the picture below as it really is.  It has a similar consistency to real cheese, melts, gets stringy just like cheese, and tastes pretty close to the real thing.  

Bob's Red Mill and Daiya have saved our family and brought Pizza back to the table. Thank you Bob and Daiya. 




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!! I've tried some gluten-free crusts - some good, some not-so good. I'll try your 'trick' with the 'Bob's Red Mill GF Pizza' - thanks for the tips!!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!! This is soooo helpful - I'm so happy I found your blog! Please keep us updated as i'd like to try to my make gf meals more interesting (and tasty).

Anonymous said...

This is great! My family loves pizza, but the doughs have not turned out (and we end up only eating the toppings).....

Do you have any recipes for banana bread or brownies??

-M