Monday, June 4, 2012

Am I Really Living Gluten Free?

I have spent the past year and a 1/2 attempting to perfect being gluten free...in the kitchen.  I think that I have been able to avoid most gluten containing ingredients in my food and that I am pretty good at recognizing it's hidden forms in ingredient lists.  Here is my new challenge: going gluten free in the other products I use, like cosmetics, body washes, etc.  I believe that gluten is not a bad thing and in fact is one of those natural ingredients created by 'mother nature' (I also believe that it has been genetically modified so much over time that it is no longer in it's purest form)....but as someone with a gluten intolerance,  I prefer to keep it out of my daily regiments.

I have been poking around on the internet to see what others have to say about gluten in our non-food items.  Some say there is no harm. Some say as long as you do not ingest it there is no harm.  But then there is the concern of accidental ingestion or crosscontamination, such as if you use a hand cream containing gluten and then prepare a meal, or a lip balm that contains gluten.  Others say that a dermatitis reaction can occur if using products containing gluten. I have always had sensitive skin, so I do not doubt that gluten plays a role in this reaction, just as I do not doubt that I have always been celiac and only just discovered it in recent years.  Some of the items I did not expect to hear that 'can' have gluten in them are: adhesive on stickers, bandages, and envelopes; craft paints; and the dusting used in rubber gloves.  I wear rubber gloves when playing playdough with Son (playdough contains wheat).  Looks like I will be making a big batch of GF playdough (I have made GF playdough and have a good recipe I will have to blog another time).

So it turns out that the names for gluten in our cosmetics is just are just as tricky and disguised (and perhaps more so) than it is in our food.  I am posting below a compilation from a few different lists that I found on other sites.  I can not vouch for there validity, and certainly I do not anticipate that the lists below are exhaustive.  I am just posting what I have found so far.

Reading these ingredients reminds me of how much I disliked chemistry in high school. In fact, it's the only course I ever had to take twice.  How is one supposed remember all those terms for the simple ingredients of wheat, barley, and rye.  I went through my bathroom and found a few products that contain one or more of the ingredients below.  I do not know that I will be throwing them out, but will not be purchasing them again.


Here is the list I compiled.  I am for giving credit where credit is do, but I copied the lists into one document for my personal use before realizing that I would be blogging about it, so I do not have the websites to list.

WHEAT DERIVED INGREDIENTS
AMP-ISOSTEAROYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN
DISODIUM WHEATGERMAMIDO PEG-2 SULFOSUCCINATE
HYDROLYZED WHEAT GLUTEN
HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN
HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN PG-PROPYL SILANETRIOL
HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN/PVP CROSSPOLYMER
HYDROLYZED WHEAT STARCH

HYDROLYZED WHEAT FLOUR
HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN
STEARYLDIMONIUMHYDROXYPROPYL
TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) FLOUR LIPIDS
TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM EXTRACT
TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM OIL
VITAMIN E FREQUENTLY DERIVED FROM WHEAT

TOCOPHEROL (MAY BE WHEAT DERIVED
TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (MAY BE WHEAT DERIVED) WHEAT GERMAMIDOPROPALKONIUM CHLORIDE
WHEATGERMAMIDOPROPYL ETHYLDIMONIUM ETHOSULFATE
WHEAT AMINO ACIDS
WHEAT BRAN EXTRACT
WHEAT GERMAMIDOPROPYLDIMONIUM HYDROXYPROPYL
WHEAT GERM EXTRACT
WHEAT GERM GLYCERIDES
WHEAT GERM OIL
WHEAT PROTEIN
WHEAT (TRITICUM VULGARE) BRAN EXTRACT

BETA GLUCAN (FREQUENTLY DERIVED FROM WHEAT)
HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM (HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN)
LAURDIMONIUM HYDROXYPROPYL (HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN)
FERMENTED GRAIN EXTRACT


BARLEY DERIVED INGREDIENTS
AMINO PEPTIDE COMPLEX
BARLEY EXTRACT
BARLEY LIPIDS
HORDEUM VULGARE (BARLEY) EXTRACT
HYDROLYZED MALT EXTRACT
PHYTOSPHINGOSINE EXTRACT
SAMINO PEPTIDE COMPLEX

MALT EXTRACT (USUALLY BARLEY)
MALTODEXTRIN (COULD BE DERIVED FROM BARLEY)


RYE DERIVED INGREDIENTS
SECALE CEREALE (RYE) SEED FLOUR
OAT DERIVED INGREDIENTS
AVENA SATIVA (OAT) KERNEL PROTEIN
HYDROLYZED OAT FLOUR
OAT AMINO ACIDS
OAT (AVENA SATIVA) EXTRACT
OAT BETA GLUCANOAT EXTRACT
OAT FLOURSODIUM LAUROYL
SAVENA SATIVA (OAT) FLOUR

OAT (AVENA SATIVA) BRAN EXTRACT
OAT (AVENA SATIVA) BRAN
OAT (AVENA SATIVA) PROTEIN
COLLOIDAL OATMEAL 
MISC.
CYCLODEXTRIN
DEXTRIN
DEXTRIN PALMITATE
HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN

VEGETABLE PROTEIN (MAY CONTAIN WHEAT, BARLEY, RYE AND/OR OATS)
YEAST EXTRACT
PROLAMINE


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Crumb Bumb!
That's a LONG list. Good for you!

So - any suggestions for a good line of cosmetics?
I like Ecco Bella's lip liner - a great substitute for lipstick.

But, now I'm on the prowl for a powder that does not contain gluten - including corn. Ha!

Maybe we could start a cosmetic business.
You'd be the beauty, brains and engineer. And I'd be....
Maybe YOU should start a business, and I'll promote your products :)

~Dedicated