Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Cooking with Gas - Vegetarian Bean Stir Fry

I have been flying solo parent for that last couple of days, as Father has been busy at work. Son and I have been having a good time. Yesterday we headed to the splash park after daycare and stayed for a picnic dinner with our friends.  After a less than stellar nutritious meal at the park yesterday I decided that today we needed a healthy cooked meal.  Son loves rice, and beans. So I decided to mix the two and make something new - a vegetarian bean stir fry.  Well, dinner turned out just fine...good in fact. Except it was cut short by the realization that sometime during the cooking process the flame had blown out on our gas stove and natural gas was being pumped into the house (okay, I'm being a bit dramatic).  I've figured out that it wasn't on for all that long, but it shook me a bit.  I quickly flew around the house opening windows and flipping on fans, and we played outside for the next 2 hours.  Son was quite happy to play trucks and fire fighter on the front step.  Dog was happy to be outside too.  Too bad Dog ate Son's stick though. Son wasn't happy about that.....oh the sibling rivalry.....

1 cup jasmine rice (yes, I know brown rice is healthier. But jasmine is what I have and it's so tasty).
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 orange pepper, diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 green onions, diced
2 cups cauliflower
1 can mixed beans
salt to taste
2 tbspns olive oil

Warm all ingredients over medium - low heat while rice is cooking.
Drain and rinse rice.
Serve vegetable-bean medley over a warm bed of rice.



No comments: