Monday, June 25, 2012

Do-It-Yourself Compost Bags

I have found another Do-It-Yourself project to help us save money in our house supply/grocery bill. It also re-purposes newspapers therefore reducing waste.

Where we live there is green-bin collection.  We have been composting for some time in our backyard, but now with the green-bin collection system we are binning all food waste.  This has definately helped to cut down on our garbage, and also, our kitchen garbage doesn't get smelly like it used to. We can dump our food waste directly into the large green bins, but this gets fairly messy....and maggotty.  So for that reason we have made a habit of purchasing the small bin liners. My first attempt at saving the cost of purchasing these liners included only loosely lining the small kitchen bucket with newspaper.  Well, this works fine until you dump it into the large green-bin.  It was my turn that week to put the bins to the curb for pickup and then put them away.  The "stuff" stuck in the bottom of the bin was so gross and maggoty that I had to hold my breath while hosing it down...but then was the question of what to do with the sloshy stinky mess.  I took the bin to the back corner of our yard and dumped it.  The next day, Husband warned me that it smelled like something died in our backyard.  Said smell remained for almost a week. (Sorry neighbours!) So on to plan B. 

We now do green-bin origami.  Using newspaper, we make an 'envelope' of sorts to collect the food waste in our kitchen bucket.  The pictures below outline the origami steps.  I didn't use newspaper for these as we had some large packing paper to be recycled so I reused it for this project instead.  When we run out of these ones our neighbours will likely see me dumpster diving for their old newspapers, as we do not get a newspaper in our house.

Green-bin Origami Instructions:


Step 1: Take 2 or 3 sheet of large newsprint (or paper) and lay them out on the table.

Step 2:  Fold the paper diagonally.

Step 3: Trim the paper remaining on the side.
Step 4: Adjust your folded paper so that you have a triangle in front of you.

Step 5: Fold the right corner over to the upper right side. 

Step 6: Fold the left corner over to the upper left side.

Step 7a: Divide the paper evenly at the top....
Step 7b: ..and fold down to create the envelope.

Step 7c: Do the same on the other side.

Step 8: Open at the top and place in food bin to collect food waste.

I made a stack of them so that I don't have to make a new one each time I empty the kitchen bin.

Yahoo-y! No more purchasing green-bin liners for this household....and no more maggoty messy either I hope....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I apologise if this posts twice...

Great idea!
Students at my school were selling multiple packages of these as a fundraiser for CHEO.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to do this! - Thanks for the detailed instructions!