Monday, June 18, 2012

Home Made Baby Wipes/ Make Up Remover Wipes/ Hand Wipes

Even though Son is potty trained, and has been for over a year, we still go through a zillion baby wipes. We still use wipes when Son goes no.2.  Dog's bum get wiped too (I know this sounds strange, but she is a bulldog and this is what we must do).  We also use them to take to the park, etc., to clean grimy hands and small messes. And of course there is always a package of wipes in the car.  I also use them to remove my makeup. They are just plain handy to have.  I was looking for a recipe to make my own and recently stumbled upon one on another blog I like to visit...One Good Thing by Jillee.  There are many different recipes for home made baby wipes, but this is the one that I decided to give a go.  It sounded easy, and I had all the ingredients handy.  I changed the recipe a bit, but generally did the same.  Jillee gives a savings breakdown on her blog, so I won't bother...

Ingredients:
1 Bounty select-a-size paper towel roll
1 tblspn coconut oil
1 tblspn castile soap
4 cups of boiled water
2 drops tea tree oil

Lessons I learned:
1. Use a jumbo roll and make sure it is select-a-size.
2. Do not use a serated knife.
3. I think I will use less oil next time.
4. If you are not using a Jumbo roll, use less of everything.
5. If the wipes seem too soggy, squeeze the excess moisture out of the roll and replace the roll back in the container.

Cut the roll of paper towel in two. One Good Thing by Jillee suggests that Bounty works best. 
I had Bounty so used it as well.  I believe Jillee also suggests NOT to use a serated knife. I couldn't find one that wasn't. You can see that it didn't cut well. Next time I will look harder for a non-serated knife.



I gathered my ingredients and mixed them in a bowl. 
I used boiled water instead of distilled water. Jillee's recipe calls for baby wash - I used castile soap. I also used a couple of drops of Tea Tree oil for the antibacterial/anti-fungal properties.

Most recipes say to remove the cardboard roll AFTER adding the water mixture. 
I was able to remove the roll easily before adding the water mixture so went ahead and did it.


Place 1/2 of the cut roll in a plastic container.

Add 1/2 water mixture to the container.



Place lid on top.
Turn over and let sit for 5 minutes.




Turn back over and voila, you have wipes.

No comments: