Sunday, June 3, 2012

Rainy Yard Sale Day Crock Pot Chilli

Today was our annual Community Yard Sale Day.  It rained.  For the past week Friend and I watched the weather report hoping it had changed.  Each day was a bit different. For example, one day said 80% chance of rain, another said 90% chance of light rain, and yet another suggested that there was 30% chance of light rain in the afternoon only.  We even checked multiple weather report sources.  In the end, it was a misty, drizzly morning and a cloudy with sunny breaks afternoon.  We decided that we wouldn't let a little rain stop us, and set up our yard sales early Saturday morning.  I was up late the night before baking, as this was my second annual Gluten Free Bake Sale, so between the slightly dreary weather and the late night before, I was feeling a bit sleepy.  All in all, our family didn't do so bad.  We managed to sell a few items that we haven't used in ages, and cleared some clutter from our tiny house.  I went so far as to put my wedding dress in this yard sale but didn't have any takers.  I am trying hard to tackle the issue of clutter and lack of storage space in our home - by getting rid of things.  We do donate a few times a year to local clothing charities, but I too shop at those same clothing charities now so a yard sale was needed to make a little extra money. We made a little over a hundred dollars which isn't so bad for a rainy Saturday morning.  ....and there are still a few items left to sell so we will likely set up shop again next Saturday to sell the wedding dress, bridesmaid dresses, skis that haven't been worn in....holy cow, at least 5 years, and of course books, cd's, and other dust collecting items that must be somebody's treasure - just no longer mine.  It wasn't necessarily a cold day, but it was damp and a bit cool so by the time we had finished dismantling the sale, I was dreaming of a hot dinner to warm me up.  Thus, it was a chilli and rice night.  Chilli is one of my go to favourite, easy, naturally gluten free menu items.  We now make it vegetarian style since I no longer eat meat (most meat anyways).  I use different types of beans and not just the typical red kidney beans.  White kidney beans, chick peas, and black beans are my favourites for chilli.  Served on a warm bed of jasmine rice, it was delicious.



In my slow cooker I add and mix the following and cook on medium for 5-6 hours:

  • 2 cans of diced Blue Menu (low sodium) tomatoes
  • 1 can of Blue Menu (low sodium) black beans
  • 1 can of Blue Menu (low sodium) mixed beans
  • diced vegetables (usually whatever I have in the fridge but this time it was red peppers, celery, green onion and portebello mushrooms)
  • 1/4 packet of PC Chilli seasoning (I have not reacted to this seasoning but I can not vouch for it being gluten free except to say that I appear to be fine with it)
  • 1 Cup of jasmine rice cooked separately.


Now this is obviously not the 'cleanest' meal.  If I had more time I would likely use all fresh ingredients instead of using canned tomatoes and beans, and I would also likely use my own seasonings rather than prepackaged.  But as I said, this is my go to, easy meal for days when I don't have time to cook or rather don't have the energy to invest in a meal.

No comments: