Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Nanna Turns 90


This past weekend was road trip for our family. My Nanna (Great Nanna to Son) turned 90.  I am so glad that we were able to attend her party.  We actually got to spend a bit of time with each of Son's 3 sets of Grandparents (My mom and gramma, Husband's Father and Stepmom, and Husband's Mother and Stepdad). I found this to be especially good for Son to help him realize not only the importance of family, but also that he is a descendent from each of these families and each are equally important to us and who we are.  Okay, so this is a bit complex for Son yet, but I'm sure that it helped.

Great Grandad passed several years ago, and since then several of Great Nanna's friends and family members have passed.  Great Nanna has not been without her own health problems, and yet her mood and spirit were high.  At one point in the weekend she even took me for a ride on her walker!  (She was trying to convince Son to get on for a ride and used me as a guinea pig to show him how to sit. I didn't expect her to start pushing me...but off she went and wouldn't let me off!)  She's a tough cookie, and I love her dearly.  It was nice to see her talking and catching up with some of her remaining friends, and of course looking on as her great grand children played in the yard.  It was a fantastic day.

I have to say that I was a bit worried about what I would eat while on the road and how to prepare food while in a hotel room.  But we packed plenty of snacks and easy to prepare foods, and hit grocery stores on the way there and back for vegetables, dips, and celiac friendly foods.  One of the biggest surprises I had was my cousin preparing gluten free cookies for me, buying gluten free cupcakes for me to enjoy while others were eating birthday cake, and my aunt making a salad that was celiac friendly as well.  It was so thoughtful for my family to take my celiac disease into consideration.  (Thank you family!)  And phew, guess what?  Three days on the road and no glutenization for me!  What a relief.


No comments: