Friday, July 27, 2012

Natural Healing - Endometriosis

It was just over a year ago that I started seeing a naturopath to help me treat my endometriosis.  I have an ovarian cyst that grows to the size of a lemon and then bursts unpredictably and causes pain that I can honestly say is worse than childbirth.  At the time that I started seeing my naturopath, my cyst had been 'acting up' and causing me concern that it was going to burst again.  Around that same time I also purchased and read two books related to treating endometriosis naturally.
I recently had an ultrasound to keep an eye on the size of my buddy the cyst and found that it is again almost the size of a small lemon.  Oh joy. Even though my cyst has grown, and is giving me some discomfort as of late, I still feel that working with my naturopath has been a life changing experience.  With her help I have come off of the synthetic hormone medications prescribed to me to manage this pesky cyst (which weren't working much I might add) and have been almost a year without any major pain.  Discomfort at times, yes. But no debilitating pain, and certainly no explosions.  I think I also have to give credit to the knowledge I gained from my two book purchases:
1.
Product Details
The Endometriosis Natural Treatment Program: A Complete Self-Help Plan for Improving Health and Well-Being by Valerie Ann Worwood and Julia Stonehouse (May 18 2007)
2.
Product Details
Recipes for the Endometriosis Diet by Carolyn Levett(Dec 1 2007) .
(No, I am not being paid by Amazon, the publishers or the authors of these books to promote them.... Although I did purchase my books from Amazon)

I learned a lot from both of these books on what changes I could make in my life to help make this disease more managable instead of it managing me.  I did infact put some of their suggestions into effect but mostly the suggestions they had around nutrition.  I have started to revisit these writings as I feel that it might be time for me to step it up a bit.  As I mentioned in another post, I have been living symbiotically with this buddy.  Now I want it gone.  I don't know if I can achieve this without surgery, but I'm sure as hell going to give it my all so it no longer has the power to interfere with my wellbeing. 

I am a fairly private person. And I wouldn't normally be standing on a soap box sharing such details about my medical/health issues.  But one of my goals in writing this blog is to share with others the knowlege I have gained in hopes that it can help another.  If you or someone you know has endometriosis, I recommend reading the two books mentioned above.  If you have other suggestions to share with me, I gladly welcome them - please share them with me.

No comments: