Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Potato & Portabello Mushroom Fritata - dairy free - gluten free

Part of my endometriosis diet has me forgoing meat, for the most part. I occasionally eat organically raised and antibiotic free chicken...and a bit of fish, but really that's it.  I can't technically call myself a vegetarian for this reason....but also because I do eat eggs.  I think the term I'm supposed to use to describe my loose vegetarianism is "flexitarian".  I call myself a cheatertarian.  I don't think I'm supposed to eat eggs either.  But really, I need some protein and sometimes beans and quinoa just don't cut it.  Especially during bbq season when I step out my door and smell all that yummy meat on every bbq in the neighbourhood. I have cut so many things out of my diet that I feel that I can allow myself the odd organic egg and chicken.

Tonight, I made a dish I have never, ever made before: Fritata.  I checked out a couple other fritata recipes to give myself an idea of what proportions to use, but other than that it came from my head....and what was left in the fridge.  I had planned on putting spinach in, but found out that my spinach was past it's prime.  I have to say that it turned out pretty darn yummy.

My picture doesn't do this dish justice. Trust me, it's yummy.


Ingredients:
1 tablespoon coconut oil
4 potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 portabello mushrooms, sliced
2 stalks of celery, sliced
2 green onions, sliced
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup rice milk
Sprinkle of Daiya cheese ( I didn't measure this..maybe 1/4 Cup?)
Herbamare

1. heat frying pan and melt coconut oil
2. light cook potatoes for a few minutes on medium to low heat
3. add celery, onion, mushrooms and season with herbamare
4. in a bowl, mix eggs and milk
5. once all above ingredients have had a chance to cook for about 5 - 10 minutes, add the egg mixture to the frying pan and leave on low-medium heat.
6. sprinkle with Daiya 'cheese'
7. keep cooking until the egg has cooked through (15 minutes?)( I didn't count..sorry)
8. Serve and enjoy.

This made enough to feed our family of 3 for at least 2 meals.

I asked husband what he rated the dish. Out of 10 stars he gave it 6.5.  He doesn't like daiya cheese (because he can eat the real stuff) and said it tarnished the taste of the dish.  If you eat cheese, I suggest you use real cheese rather than daiya. I on the other hand loved it all and would give it a 9.

No comments: