Thursday, July 19, 2012

Toothpaste Recipe

Yes, we are only a family of three with all those toothbrushes. Somehow Son has us convinced he needs 5 different toothbrushes.  Truth be told, he keeps stealing ours to add to his personal collection.

The Tom's of Maine is getting low.  ...and while I'm happier using this brand than other less green brands, I'm still not pleased that it contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate.  I searched high and low on the internet for a recipe to make my own toothpaste (of course I did).  There are many recipes to choose from. Some contain glycerin, xylitol, peroxide, coconut oil, and other great ingredients...but in the end I settled on the simplest one I saw because I knew I had all the ingredients already. A word of caution if you choose to add peroxide to your recipe: I've heard that it can cause tooth and gum sensitivity.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbspn warm water
10-15 drops essential oil (peppermint)
Instructions:
Partially dissolve salt in the warm water.
Add salt water gradually to the baking soda until the desired consistency is reached.
Add 10-15 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil.
Mix.
Store in a small sealed jar or container.
(Source: http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-toothpaste-recipe-easy-and-frugal/)

My first reaction was "wow, this is kinda salty".  But now that I've used it a couple of times and adjusted to the lack of sweetener being added I'm all good with the flavour, or lack thereof.  Could I do it without the peppermint? Probably, but the peppermint helps me feel a bit fresher and more pampered.  I don't know if Husband will like it, or even use it.  We'll see. Son will continue using his Weleda for children toothpaste as he has not yet mastered the art of spitting out the toothpaste, and sinse brushing his teeth always involves me saying "don't eat it you silly goose!" I think the taste wouldn't pass his test anyways.  My teeth feel very clean using this toothpaste. Other bonuses include the fact that it is gluten free, doesn't come with an overload of packaging, has 4 simple ingredients, and it is very inexpensive to make. Really, I'm guessing the whole thing cost me 50 cents (if that) to make and maybe took 10 minute to mix up.

Have another recipe or comment to share with me?  I'd love to hear them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to using this!

F/H/D