Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Wild Rice Mushroom Soup



This recipe is a variation of a recipe I have from Canadian Living's The Vegetarian Collection.  The first time I tried this recipe I made it into a cream soup, following steps 12 and 13.  Very delicious.  This time I decided not to make it into a cream soup and kept the rice milk and blending step out.  Still very delicious.  Perhaps not the best choice for this hot summer day, but I really wanted this soup.

Disclaimer: My measurements are all approximate. I tend to cook better without measuring.....most times.  Also, I did not have vegetable broth so made my broth using Nutrimax's Chicken soup base and Tomato soup base (both claim to be gluten free and suitable for vegans).


Wild Rice Mushroom Soup


1 cup (8) Dried Shitake Mushrooms
1 cup (1 large) Portebello Mushroom
2-3 cups white or cremini mushrooms
2 cloves garlic
3 diced green onions
1-2 tbspns olive oil
1 tspn fresh thyme
dash of Herbamare
1/2 wild rice
1 1/4 cup boiling water (to soak dried mushrooms)
1 cup of water reserved from soaked mushrooms

1. place the dried mushrooms in the boiled water and let sit while preparing other ingredients.
2. bring water to a boil for wild rice; cook rice.
2. heat oil in frying pan
3. add diced green onion and crushed garlic; saute and reduce heat.
4. dice celery and add to frying pan.
5. dice fresh mushrooms and add to frying pan.
6. remove mushrooms soaking in water and dice. add to frying pan.
7. poor 1 cup of mushroom water and 2 cups of broth into large pot; heat.
8. add mushroom/celery/onion/garlic mixture to broth.
9. continue cooking broth-vegetable mixture while wild rice is cooking.
10. when rice is cooked, add to broth mixture.
11. serve and enjoy OR
12. if you would like a cream of mushroom soup, add 1/4 milk or milk alternative (rice/soy milk)
13. blend half of the mixture until creamy and return to the pot.

I can see me trying to add other vegetables and perhaps some black beans to this recipe next time.

No comments: