Friday, July 6, 2012

Would you? Could you? Do you? - Paperless Toiletting

I think I am toeing the line of becoming a granola.  It started with making my own laundry detergent. Actually, it likely started long before this. Since then though, all I can think of is what can I make now, what can I do differently, and what modern comfort can I do away with to get closer to that simple life. You will see some of my newest concoctions and adventures in posts to come, but the one that has me nearly over the edge is thinking of toilet paper alternatives. Yes, you read that right.

I was throwing some tissue in the garbage and I thought, "wow, we throw out a lot of toilet paper". Seems a waste.  As the lone female in our house, I likely use the most toilet paper - which means I kill more trees than my boys do. More and more I find waste and anti-green home comforts are weighing me down, and having a guilt effect on me. This is spurring me into action mode and leading me to ponder how'granola' I am willing to go. Don't get me wrong. I mean nothing negative by the term 'granola'.  I'm almost there, and I'd say I'm a happier, healthier person for it.

If I am to be completely honest, my green inspired adventures also have to do with saving money and living more comfortably within our means. I have not revealed this newest contemplation with Husband yet, and he might just think I am completely off my rocker, and perhaps I am...but wouldn't it be nice to preserve our green earth for our children's children?

Me being me, I did a bit of research on going toilet-paperless. Apparently I am not the only person to have thought of doing this, and in fact, many have taken the plunge.  It even has a nice name to it - Family Cloth.  One blogger who uses family cloth had a commenter write that family cloth in her house would be grounds for divorce.  I would hope not. Because really, who is it harming?

Image Source:
http://bigpreg.wordpress.com/2009/07/06/megs-and-the-family-cloth/
Some families use it 100%, which means no toilet paper what-so-ever.  Some use it just for #1's. Really, it's a lot like cloth diapering, without the diapers of course. I did not use cloth diapers on Son, although I did kick the idea around a bit.  In the end I decided that I was just too overwhelmed to add the burden of the extra laundry.  Life must be a little more manageable if I am contemplating this one.  I don't know that I would use it for #2's.  Seems a bit much for me to take on. But maybe just for #1's?

Let's see how long I put this one on the shelf before I give it a go...

Pros:
less paper waste
less dead trees
less plastic waste
less chemical (used in production of paper products)
less pollution caused from diesel exhaust from transporting/shipping
more money in our pockets
more uses for old t-shirts (use them to cut into cloths & worn out flannel sheets) (recycle, recycle, recycle)

Cons:
a little more laundry

Hmmmm.... I'm going to have to think on this one.
Would you? Could you? Do you use "family cloth"?
If you do, how does it work for your family?

2 comments:

Maman said...

If life has gotten that easy, i can think of something else you can do.... LOL.

Laura said...

We did this for #1's while using cloth diapers. Not sure why we stopped. You've inspired me to pick it up again, especially with babe #2 on the way and cloth diapering again.