Thursday, August 30, 2012

Easy Peasy Mac & Cheesey - Gluten Free & Dairy Free

Today was a very warm day. But both husband and I both had a hankering for baked macaroni and cheese.  It tastes good on any day, no matter what the temperature, but it is definitely one of those dishes that are best on a cool day when you need something warm to cozy up with at the table.  This recipe is an adaptation of a dish from the kitchen of Husband's Mom.  

1 package of cooked elbow macaroni (gluten free for this family - we use rice noodles)
[I make one dish that is dairy free for me and one dish that is dairyful for the boys, so I use a whole package of noodles divided into two to cook in oven. No, I do not eat as much as the boys but I bake as much for myself so that I have lunchable leftovers.]
1 can of diced tomatoes (or diced fresh tomatoes if you prefer)
4 cups shredded marble or cheddar cheese (or approximately 1/2 of a 500g block of cheese)
1 package of cheddar flavour Daiya "Cheese" (mmmm Daiya)
Pepper and Salt to taste....garlic too if you would like....
Cook and strain the macaroni.
As I mentioned above, I split the macaroni in two to make a separate dairy and non dairy version.
Strain noodles well (so you don't get a watery mac & cheese).
Place cooked noodles in casserole dish.
Add tomatoes.
Add 3/4 of your cheese.
Mix gently.
Add remaining cheese to top of dish.
Place lid glass lid on casserole dish.
Bake for 30 min at 400 degrees.
Remove lid and broil for a few minutes to lightly brown the top of the mac & cheese.
Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes...if you can wait that long!
Voila. Tasty baked mac & cheese.
I know, I know. The one with Daiya does not look quite the same. Although it does not look as appetizing as the dairy version, I feel that anyone who cannot have dairy and is drooling for it, will very much enjoy the Daiya.  Husband does not care for the Daiya.  ...but he can eat Dairy.  I on the other hand drool for Dairy, but cannot eat it, and absolutely love the Daiya.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seems that the Wheat Belly book you suggest to read is okay with cheese - so this is one of MY favorite meals these days. i'm going to ask for this for my BIRTHDAY dinner!!!

-YKW