Monday, August 27, 2012

Home Made Gluten Free Bread


One of the things I really missed when I first went gluten free was bread. I wanted a bread that was just like the glutenous stuff I used to eat.  I started by buying a loaf. It cost $6.99 for a loaf that was almost 1/2 the size of a normal loaf, and it tasted so horrible that I could not bring myself to eat it.  That was when I decided that I was going to try baking my own.  I was not sure how that was going to work out so did not buy a bread maker. Instead I asked my mother if I could borrow hers.  I scrubbed it out thoroughly to get rid of all traces of gluten that could make me feel like death warmed over. I tried so many recipes, but they were often very crumbly and dry.  It took me a while to realize that I just might not be able to make a bread exactly like wheat bread.  I have however learned a few things that have helped with the crumbly dry problem.  You see, gluten free flours do not have the protein that gluten flours have that lend it it's elasticity.  The replacement for this is xanthan gum or guar gum, and eggs.  While the recipe I use, and I will share with you, is one I adapted from several others, I do have a recipe book suggestion to share with you.
http://www.amazon.ca/Best-Gluten-Free-Bread-Machine-Recipes/dp/0778802388

This book has several recipes in it that are very good.  I have made a few of them.
The recipe I use is an adaptation of Grandma's Brown Bread found on page 30.



1 1/4 Cup Sorghum Flour
1 Cup Rice Flour
1/3 Cup Tapioca Flour
1/2 Cup Ground Flax
2 Tbsp Guar Gum
1 Tsp Yeast
1 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
1 1/4 Cup water
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Agave Nectar
2 eggs
2 egg whites


I mix all ingredients in a bowl, starting with dry and adding the wet.
Then I empty my mixing bowl into the bread machine and set it to Brown Bread Light, which cooks for 3 hours.
This bread is excellent the day it is baked but if you expect that it might take you more than 2 days to eat the loaf, then it is likely best to freeze it after a day.  If you do not freeze it then keep in in the fridge to help it stay fresh.

No comments: