Sunday, August 19, 2012

Home Made Liquid Dishwasher Detergent

I just had to make something else.  Dishwasher detergent.  I know, hand washing dishes is better for the environment, but really, we live in a very busy household.  There's so much playing to do and so little time to do chores.  The dishwasher is my friend.  And I've done my part by purchasing green detergents.  But they are expensive.  And now I know I can make them for a fraction of the cost.  I researched recipes that others have used, and in the end decided to make my own recipe based on several others combined.



Ingredients:
1 C Baking Soda
1 C Borax
8 C Boiling Hot Water
7 C Water (reg. temperature)
1 C Vinegar
1/2 C Liquid Castile Soap
1 tbspn Citric Acid

Instructions:
In a large pot (or 2 large pots) bring 8 cups of water to a boil.
Add the Baking Soda and Borax.
Stir until these ingredients have dissolved.
Add 7 Cups of room temp. water.
Add 1 Cup of vinegar.
Add 1 tablespoon of citric acid (I got mine at the bulk health food store.)
Add 1/2 Cup of liquid castile soap.
Mix and let cool.
Once cooled, pour into a jug.
Let sit overnight.
Apparently it will gel overnight. (it didn't for me though)
Shake before use.
Use 1-2 tablespoons per load.  Okay, so I'm lazy and don't measure into the machine. I just open the dispenser cup and squeeze in what I think is a few table spoons.

I always try to use my home made products for a few weeks before posting here.  So far all my recipes have worked well, and this one is no exception.  I have been using it for about a month now.

I still had a bit of my old store bought green detergent left when I started using this new home made version. Shortly after starting with the home made Husband put a load on and used the old stuff.  I didn't know he had used the store bought and had a heart sinking moment when I opened up the machine and the dishes didn't seem so clean.  I guess that was the test for me.  My home made seems to work even better than the store bought! Success.  Sweet success.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Just made this recipe. Im absoutely looking forward to using it. Do you still use it?

Gluten Free Mom said...

I did enjoy using this recipe. However, I recently tried another dry detergent recipe which combined equal parts borax & baking soda, and a bit of citric acid. This one also works well.
:)Gluten Free Mom