Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sweet Cinnamon Snack Cracker

A couple weeks ago one of my coworkers introduced me to a sweet cinnamon snack cracker called Myrna's Skinny Crisps.  They are little bites of gluten free heaven.  No jokes, they are that good.  I ordered a couple bags of them and polished off both bags within a week.  At $6.99 a bag, that is a bit pricey for me. 


Looking at the ingredients, I had a thought that is not uncommon for me these days: "I bet I could make these".  So I gathered my ingredients and at the first possible moment I began my experiment. With the help of http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/17/easy-vegan-gluten-free-crackers/ I figured out my technique and ratios.  Then I set out to mixing and making.

Here's my recipe:
3/4 C Almond Flour
1/2 C Chickpea Flour
1/4 C Ground Flax
1/8 C Psyillium Husks
1 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
2 tbsp Grapeseed Oil
6 tbsp Agave Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Sea Salt




I mixed all the dry ingredients in a bowl, then added the liquid ingredients. Once the wet was mixed with the dry I rolled the dough in a ball, and then placed the ball onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.


I do not own a rolling pin so used an empty glass jelly jar instead (I knew I was saving it for something!). On my first batch, I sprinkled some cinnamon and bit of almond flour to help with the rolling. On my second batch I used a bit of tapioca starch on my 'rolling pin' instead. The dough is sticky, so patience was key to getting it to roll out thin enough.



Once rolled, I used a pizza wheel to cut the dough into squares.



The first batch I baked mine at 350 degrees for 6 minutes. Then turned the oven off and let them sit for a few more minutes. Then took them out and tried not to drool on them while they cooled.  They smelled divine while baking. The ones that were well browned, well they taste burned.  The rest are tasty. For this reason, the second batch was baked for much longer - 2 hours - at 170 degrees. Maybe next time I will bake them for slightly less time at 250 degrees.



I would say that I have not yet duplicated the recipe but I have created a super tasty, healthy snack.

The flours used are a bit more expensive, but I still made these Sweet Cinnamon Snack Crackers for less than I bought them for originally.  Hats off to Myrna's Skinny Crisps for introducing me to this yummy goodness.

I hope you enjoy them. I know I do!
FYI: Husband rating = 8 Husband says that if it had raisins or chocolate in it they would get a 9 or 10.  Hmmm....that has me thinking of other variations.  If you happen to try this recipe with other variations, please do post. I would love to hear how they turn out!

No comments: