Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Apple Picking to Apple Sauce


A couple of weeks ago we went to an organic farm to pick apples.  We went with  family and had a great day scrambling from tree to tre finding the best apples. Son & Cousins were the perfect height for these trees and could walk amongst the trees with no problems.  But us adults were a bit taller and had to hunch over a bit to get to some of the best pommes. Our family got 2 large and 1 small reusable grocery bags full of apples.  We had an apple pealing party and Sister, Mom and I peeled up a bag of Sister's and a bag of mine.  I cored and sliced my 1 peeled bag and placed them in ziploc freezer bags, and there they si in the deep freeze waiting for  their addiction to a warm winter concoction.

That left me with 2 bags which I placed in the cool dark basement.  Last night I was in said basement doing laundry before heading to bed and laid eyes on said 2 bags of apples. Guilt played on me, for not having done something with them yet, and instead of going to bed I peeled, cored, and sliced half a bag of apples. Instead of freezing them I decided to place them in the crockpot (a little trick I learned from Sister).  I added 1/2 a cup of agave, sprinkled it liberally with cinnamon and poured in about a cup of water.  I replaced the lid and let it simmer on low all night. 


When I woke up this morning I had forgotten about the crockpot, and when I opened the bedroom door I was pleasantly surprised by the sweet smell of homemade fresh organic applesauce.  It made for a yummy warm breakfast on a crisp late summer morning.  What I did not eat went into glass jars and then placed into the fridge once cooled.



Sister makes a great apple butter.  I think she does this by cooking the apples with little or no water added.  And I'm pretty sure she uses coconut sugar and adds cinnamon and maybe nutmeg?  The great thing about homemade applesauce is that you can't really mess it up.

No comments: