Thursday, September 27, 2012

Fauxmeal - Cauliflower based oatmeal - Gluten free/ Grain free/ Dairy Free



Some celiacs can eat oats and some cannot. I am one of those gluten intolerant people who cannot. I was recently introduced to the idea of using cauliflower to make a breakfast dish that resembles oatmeal in both looks and taste.  So I thought I would give it a try. The recipe I used to make this dish is an adapted version of this one.

The ingredients I used were:
2 cups of grated cauliflower flower (I used the stalks in a dish for dinner with portabello mushrooms, green onion, and garlic)
2/3 cup Flax milk (I used the original flavour, but next time might use vanilla flavoured)
2/3 cup water
3 large eggs
3 1/2 tbsp flax meal
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3 tbsp agave syrup

First, I grated the cauliflower and measured out 2 cups of the grated florets, placing them in a medium sized pot. (I'm thinking that I might try using my food processor next time, to same time and hassle.)

Then I added the flax milk and water.  I heated them on the stove for 10 minutes but could maybe have cooked them longer. Key here is cooking them until they are soft.

Next in a measuring cup I mixed the eggs with the flax meal.  Once the cauliflower was cooked I added the egg-flax mixture and stirred while adding it to the cooked cauliflower mixture.

Last but not least I added the cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and agave.


I then let it sit a while on low because I had not cooked my cauliflower enough before adding the egg mixture and other ingredients.


It turned out ok.  To be honest, I might not be all that interested in it if I could eat hot oatmeal...but I can't so this is an excellent substitute.  Don't get me wrong. It doesn't taste gross, or horrible or anything like that. I liked it, it's just not oatmeal. This recipe made enough for 4 individual meals.  I enjoyed it most mornings warmed with a few tablespoons of almond yoghurt.  Very yummy.

I have since made a second batch of this fauxmeal. This time I used allspice and cinnamon, and added a couple spoons of canned pumpkin to give it a 'fall' flavour.  This too was yummy with some almond yoghurt.  I love that I can make this up ahead of time and it makes for a quick breakfast on weekdays. High in fiber, low in carbs, and no gluten. Perfect for this gluten free mom.




No comments: