Sunday, September 30, 2012

Flax & Egg Wrap - Gluten Free, Grain Free & Dairy Free


I've been wanting to make my own wraps to make sandwiches for some time. When reading WheatBelly, I came across a grain free wrap alternative.  The ingredients were simple and I had them all, so I gave it a try.

Ingredients per wrap:

3 tbsp ground flax
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp paprika
pinch sea salt
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp water
1 egg

Mix dry and add oil, beaten egg, and water.
In a frying pan spoon the mixture in to desired wrap size.

I didn't make the wraps exactly to the recipe. For example, I didn't use paprika and instead used turmeric.  I didn't use onion powder and instead used garlic powder.  The possibilities are endless for spice combinations.  I really enjoyed the wrap, but I found that it wasn't an exact replacement for my store bought rice wraps because they didn't roll very well.  They did taste good as a base for our  fajita dish with rice, salsa, diced fresh vegetables, and topped with cheese/daiya.  Instead of rolling them we just ate our meal with our knives and forks.

I'm still on the hunt for a good homemade sandwich wrap, but this recipe is a keeper for other meals.

No comments: