Sunday, September 16, 2012

Gluten Free Dairy free Crock Pot Bread


Pinterest  is where I got the idea for this one.  I have been making bread in my bread machine for almost 2 years.  And I have loved it.  But now I've tried this new technique and I have to share about my experience. I like it. No. I love it. I find it much easier than bread machine bread and perhaps even a bit tastier.

I even learned that you can make this one on the run.  A couple weeks ago we were off to do apple picking followed by lunch, with Family. My bread in the crockpot wasn't quite done, but we were ready to go.  I wrapped the crockpot in a towel and set it on the passenger side between my feet. I then used a nifty adapter Nanna gave us for Christmas a few years ago to plug the crockpot in and let it finish cooking while we made the 20 minute drive to our destination that day.  It worked.  And the bread seemed to be a hit when we had it for lunch.  It is very dense but it doesn't fall apart easily like other gluten free breads.  I'm thinking that if I tweak my technique a bit and let it sit on low for about 45 minutes it would likely rise a bit more.


So here's my recipe:

1 1/2 Cup Sorghum Flour
1/3 Cup Tapioca Starch
1/2 Cup Brown Rice Flour
1/2 Cup ground flax
2 tbsp Guar Gum
1 1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp tsp yeast (Fleishmann's makes some gluten free ones)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp agave nectar
2 eggs
2 egg whites
1 cup of water (add a little more 1 tablespoon at a time if it's too dry)

And here's my technique:

Mix all the dry ingredients.
Add the remaining ingredients.
Mix well.
Get your crockpot out.
Place a square of parchment paper in the bottom.
Try to form your dough into a ball. This will be a bit messy.
Set the crock pot to high (my small crockpot only has a low or high setting) (this is where I might change things and place it on low for 45 min...if you try this please let me know how it works).
Place lid on crockpot.
Don't open lid until loaf is done.
Cook approximately 2 hours.
Remove from crockpot (so easy compared to bread machine).
Let cool.
Slice.
Eat.
Save any leftovers (if you have any) in the fridge for a day and then in the freezer.


Pros of crockpot bread:
It only takes 2 hours as compared to bread machine bread that takes 3 hours + to bake.
It's 100 x easier to get out of my crockpot than it was my bread machine.
There's no mixing paddle to dig out of the bottom of the loaf, or to make a whole in in your loaf.
Easy cleanup. The crockpot just needs a quick wipe with a dishcloth where as my breadmachine loaf always needed a good scrubbing.
You can cook this one on the go....if you have an adapter for the car.
The bread machine no longer takes up precious space on my counter top and has gone into storage.
The crockpot is light weight and can easily be brought out whenever I need to make bread.

Cons of crockpot bread:
It's a bit more dense than bread machine bread. ...but I actually think I like it better this way because it helps to hold it all together without crumbling...so I'm going to move this up to the pros column.
The bread machine doesn't have a timer to turn off after the 2 hour cooking period...but plugging it into a timer would fix this problem...

So there it is. You CAN cook bread in a crockpot. And it tastes good too.



No comments: