Thursday, September 20, 2012

Grain Light Pancake Recipe


A more Wheat Belly friendly pancake recipe.

I just read Wheat Belly.  It opened up my eyes to more changes I can/should make in my diet. I can be a slow learner though, so if I presented this recipe to the author, Dr. William Davis, I'm sure he would shake his head at me and say it is still not Wheat Belly compliant.  While my newest pancake recipe is not totally Wheat Belly friendly, it might just be a bit better for me and my family than than my previous recipe.

Wheat Belly notes that we should eliminate Wheat from our diets as well as other grain substitutes such as rice flour, millet, quinoa, sorghum, tapioca, potato starch, etc.  If I read it right, nut meals are okay, as well as flax meal. So while this recipe still has some sorghum in it, I have replaced the brown rice flour  in my original recipe for almond meal and flax meal. As well, my old recipe called for rice milk and I have replaced it in this recipe for flax milk.

1 Cup Almond Meal
3/4 Cup Sorghum Flour
1/4 Cup Flax Meal
2 tbsp Guar Gum
2 tbsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
2 1/2 - 3 Cups Flax Milk

The weekends have become a time for Son's favourite meal - pancakes.  He would eat these for breakfast, lunch, and dinner all week if he could. We limit him to Saturday or Sunday breakfast.  Truth be told though, this recipe makes enough for a couple of meals so we usually get a few breakfasts out of it.  This past weekend was try number two, and again it passed Son's test.  Or at least that was my interpretation of "MmMm good Mummy!".  It might be the chocolate chips I threw in his, but overall, it's a winner!


No comments: