Saturday, September 22, 2012

Oil what? Oil pulling? Maybe helpful with Endo?



I just read a blog on oil pulling.  I don't know how I got to that particular page...one led to another led to another led to Ashley Green's blog on oil pulling.  I had no idea what it was...and I was intrigued...so I read it. Now, Ashley spells it all out, so I won't try to duplicate her post on this topic.  In a nutshell, you swoosh oil (vegetable based) around in your mouth for 20 mins just like you would mouthwash (except longer) and the purpose of this is to pull toxins from your body.  After going to a couple of different sites on this I understand that organic is likely best, and coconut, sunflower and sesame are good.   Ashley's site lists a dozen or so ailments that oil pulling can aid with. While endometriosis is not in this list, I wondered what oil pulling can do to help with endometriosis.

I did a bit of searching and did not find a whole lot, but did find a couple of sites that indicate it can help with hormone balancing, and of course the purpose of oil pulling is to detox the body.  
"Oil Pulling: This type of treatment is used in Ayurveda to remove toxins from the body and assist women obtain hormonal balance. I find it amazing and so easy to use. It can be very effective in helping reduce fibroids.
It consists on swirling 1 tablespoon of oil of Olive, Sesame oil (what ever you prefer) in your mouth every morning after flossing and brushing your teeth for 15-20 minutes. Make sure to spit it out, rinse your mouth and you are done!" 
http://www.natural-health-for-fertility.com/uterine-fibroids-flooding-menses.html

Most of the focus of my naturopathic endo treatment to date has been to detox and balance hormones.  I don't see how this could hurt.   ...so I gave it a try.  Of course I did.  It sounds weird, yes, but what have I got to lose. It is a fairly (okay really) inexpensive thing to try.  Even if it doesn't help, I haven't lost a whole lot except a $4.99 bottle of organic sunflower oil.  Many sites state that oil pulling helps to create healthier gums and whiter teeth. If that's all I get from it then I'll be pleased. Who doesn't want a whiter smile? 


I thought the oil in my mouth would be gross.  It wasn't so bad though.  Once it mixes with saliva it thins out and it doesn't feel oily.  So I swished the oil around for 20 minutes, spit it out, rinsed, and then brushed my teeth. I have only done this twice so far, and I can't say that I'll remember or even have the opportunity to do this every day...but a couple times a week I can try.


Have you heard of this? Have you tried it? Has it helped you? Feel free to share your thoughts.

No comments: