Thursday, September 13, 2012

Tea Tree Oil Garbage Pail Deodorizer

     

Last week our garbage pickup was delayed a day due to the long weekend.  This meant that our garbage  sat in the kitchen garbage pail for an extra day. That is an extra day to become an even yuckier smell.  Lucky me. It was my turn to put the garbage out. When I took the garbage outside and came back in to put a new bag in the pail, I was overwhelmed by the stench coming from the pail. When we renovated our kitchen a couple of years ago and found our current garbage pail we thought that it was great. And I still do, but one of the downsides of having a garbage can big enough to put a full size bag in it is that we only empty it once a week. On the up side, we only empty it once a week.  I knew there had to be a way to get the pail smelling better. In the old days I would have sprayed Lysol.  I am sure I still have a bottle of the stuff kicking around here somewhere, but I am a greener girl these days.  

Ah ha!  Essential oils to the rescue.  I took a rag (a piece of paper towel would work too), put a few drops of tea tree oil on it and dropped it in the bottom of the pail before placing the bag in.  It worked. Now, every time I open and close the garbage pail I get a whiff of the clean scent of tea tree oil instead of the rotting stench of garbage. I am wishing I had thought of this one sooner!

Tea tree oil has many benefits. Below I copied and pasted the information I found on the Nature's Harmony website:
http://www.naturesharmony.com/pdfs/treemenda/Treemenda-Tea-Tree-Oils.pdf

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love tea tree! I've been dispensing a few drops into my mop bucket for years. Now I put a few drops on my micro fibre attachment.I've also put a few drops in my vaccum filter. Great idea for the garbage pail!

~Dedicated

Gluten Free Mom said...

Great idea for the vacuum filter! I'll have to try that one...

Anonymous said...

I am considering adding a couple drops to a carrier oil and using for sprains. will let u know how it works.
-Bobot

Gluten Free Mom said...

So good to see you on here Bobot! Great idea. I hadn't heard of this one. Thanks for sharing!