Friday, October 5, 2012

Being Thankful



In light of the Canadian Thanksgiving being this weekend I decided to do a post on being thankful. I was going to cheap out and post a nice quote.  But then I couldn't quite find anything that captured what I was feeling.  So here I am writing on thankfulness at Thanksgiving.

I have spent quite a bit of time lately reflecting on what I am thankful for.  I'm not going to share my running list with you here, but in general, I have realized just how much I have to be thankful for.  There was a day recently when I had a moment where I was feeling that life had dealt me a few bad hands and that some situations I was experiencing weren't quite what I had hoped for.  And then I quickly turned my thoughts to the fact that while some things may never be what I expected, or what I would wish for, I am thankful that they are what they are and not something worse or more.  Each and every day I have something to be thankful for. Whether it be a family I can share my life with, a safe home we can share,  a job that I enjoy and pays the bills, and the health of my family and friends, I have something to be thankful for.

Thanksgiving is a holiday that marks the beginning of a thankful but hectic season.  In this season it is easy for many (me included) to get caught up in the rush and the mania of it all and forget to take a breather and remember what we are thankful for.  If Great Aunt Betty is driving me wild at the family holiday get together, I will remember that I am lucky enough to have a great Aunt Betty to share the holidays with. Too many people don't have family to share the holidays or special moments with throughout the year, not even a Great Aunt Betty that drives them wild.  Okay. So I don't really have a Great Aunt Betty. I'm fairly lucky, as I can't even think of a family member that drives me wild. My point about Great Aunt Betty is, it's easy to get on the pitty train and wish that things were better or different, or that someone didn't drive you wild.  Yes, some things in life just suck.  But the things that suck aren't everything in life. There is so much more than whatever is wrong, or not right, or just not what you or I had hoped for. 

So this weekend, as we jet from one family get together to another I will remember that I am ever so grateful that our families can be together sharing a nice, warm, nutritious meal, smiles and laughter, making memories - together.

What are you thankful for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am incredibly thankful for working with a staff who went out of their way to cook/prepare truly glutenfree options for our potluck yesterday.
No glutening.
AND DELICIOUS.
A-N-D my appreciation made the ones who went out of their way, feel good too (I think!).
I am so thankful to spend another glutenfree meal with family this weekend, as we chow down on wonderful organic pure foods, harvested my local growers and farmers.
I am SO thankful for the bounty that surrounds us.
Now, I just need to be thankful that I have an oven to cook my organic turkey in - nevermind that I can't seem to get it clean after 2 hours of scrubbing!

~Dedicated

Cousin Lisa said...

I too am thankful for my family. They may make me nuts at times, but that's ok, they are my family and I love them & they are here for me.

I'm thankful too for the safe house I have to share with my family & thankful for the crazy job my husband has to allow me to stay home with my kids.

I'm thankful for life in general. As you said sometime life deals you some difficulties along the way. But for too many life is much worse or is taken from them too soon.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.