Thursday, October 11, 2012

Cabbage Roll Casserole - Gluten Free/Dairy Free


Cabbage rolls taste great...but they seem like a lot of work to make.  I have never made them.  Too much work for me.  I have however made cabbage roll casserole. This is one dish I have been making since the early days of paying of student loans.  (I say early days, because at this point I am almost convinced they will never disappear, but I am hoping I am in the last days if not the later days.)  Translation: I started making it years ago because it was an inexpensive meal.

These days, it is not as super inexpensive because I use organic turkey. But really, you can use whatever ground meat you would like...or no meat at all if you prefer.

Ingredients:
6 cups shredded cabbage
1 lb cooked ground meat
2 cans low sodium diced tomatoes OR the equivalent in fresh diced tomatoes ( I used frozen diced tomatoes I prepared earlier in the season)
1 cup uncooked rice
1/2 cup water
2 green onions, diced.
dash of salt, pepper, and garlic or season as you prefer

Technique:
Some people layer the above ingredients. I don't. I just stir it all in together and cook on low for 5-6 hours.  It looks less than special.  But it tastes great.

***As a reader pointed out....I left out a huge technique ....I use a crockpot. (Thanks Lisa!) That's part of what makes this recipe so easy.  I love recipes where I can put all the ingredients in and just walk away for 5-6 hours.***



2 comments:

Cousin Lisa said...

Do you cook in a crock pot? Or just in pot on the stove?

Gluten Free Mom said...

Ahh! Thanks Lisa. I totally missed that part. I use a crockpot :)