Saturday, October 27, 2012

Eucalyptus Oil - Diffusing and Chest Rub

Image Source:http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/e/eucaly14.html 
I have been absent for most of this week. Illness has struck our home this week and we have all battled something at one point or another.  Earlier this week it was Son with a short lived stomach bug.  Then it was me with a long lived and still stubborn stomach bug (hasn't it figured out I'm done with it?). Right now, Husband is battling a cold.  I'm thinking my immune system is struggling and I really can't bear the thought of getting a cold right now, so we have eucalyptus oil diffusing throughout the house.  Throughout the house means that we have one diffuser and I keep moving it from room to room.

Eucalyptus oil is what I hope will save me/us.  
Below is information taken directly from mountainroseherbs.com regarding the use and properties of eucalyptus oil.  

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/eo/eucalyptus.html
Several people I know swear by putting Vicks VapoRub on their feet covered by a pair of socks when a cold hits.  Have you read the ingredients in Vicks VapoRub?  It is a petroleum product to start, but also contains turpentine! Yikes. Won't be using this in our house anymore. There are so many reasons why, but I'll leave that for another blog post. 

So off to google land I went to find an alternative. There are many.  The majority of the ones I found called for coconut oil, eucalyptus oil, and peppermint oil. Some also included lemon essential oil.  I had all but the lemon essential oil in my cupboards.  

In a small glass dish I mixed 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, 7 drops of eucalyptus oil, and 7 drops of peppermint oil.  

I plan on locating and hiding all petroleum based vaporubs before bed tonight, to be replaced by this new and improved recipe.  I hope that we can all rest well tonight and feel better in the morning.  At the very least, we will have silky smooth and fresh smelling feet. Oh yeah.  And the other bonus would be that this likely cost under a dollar to make.

Note: I have read that eucalyptus oil is not to be used on children under the age of 2, or when pregnant.  There may be other contraindictions I am not aware of.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmm. Turpentine. Didn't mom spray stray dog butts with turpentine, when we were kids?

Anonymous said...

OK - cough induced by junk food (inflammation in body) - tried castor oil and eucaplyptus on bottoms of feet - no complaints and (along with cutting out HFCs) much improved! Why haven't I tried this before? I'd heard of it, but was inspired by your post.
Thanks!