Thursday, October 18, 2012

Freshening Spray



Lightlycrunchy is a blog I follow.  This post is about another bright idea I gathered from following this blog.

Husband's hockey equipment smells worse than anything I have ever smelled.  He keeps it in the basement in his workshop.  My laundry room is next to the workshop.  This is an issue.  Of course, the stench of hockey equipment can not be contained to a hockey bag, or even to a room.  It permeates the air and travels into adjacent rooms.  That means it assaults my nostrils when I go down to the basement to do laundry. I do a lot of laundry.

Husband is not going to quit playing hockey any time in the near future (nor would I want him to).  This means that I had to figure out a solution.When I saw Lightlycrunchy's post on homemade natural febreeze I realized that she had provided me with my solution.

Me being me, I don't believe in using aerosol sprays or chemical laden products.  This is where lightlycrunchy's 'Homemade Natural Febreeze' recipe saved me.  It also helps to use up some vodka that has been aging and taking up valuable real estate in my cupboards. As I have used Vodka for this recipe it is not technically gluten free, but I figured as long as I didn't drink the solution and focused on spraying Husband's hockey equipment I would be fairly safe.  I understand that rubbing alcohol is gluten free so I suppose I could substitute vodka for rubbing alcohol to make it celiac safe. ...I think next time I make this I will be using a gluten free vodka alternative, just to be on the safe side.

Here's her recipe:
  • 2 tbsp vodka (whatever you have – the cheaper the better) [or rubbing alcohol for a gluten free option?]
  • 2 tbsp baking soda
  • 20 drops eucalyptus essential oil
  • 8 drops peppermint essential oil
  • 1 cup filtered water
Combine all ingredients in a spray bottle and shake to mix. I must say that it smells lovely and very refreshing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we need to build another 'hockey equipment' shed with a heat lamp installed:)

-Husband

Anonymous said...

Make HIM do the laundry - LAZY male.

-MA