Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Gluten Free/Dairy Free Banana Muffins


Whenever we have extra bananas, I like to make either a banana bread or banana muffins. They are great for everything from breakfasts, to snacks, to dessert in our home.  Usually Son will help me, but this time he was outside with Husband burning off some of that youthful energy and helping to prepare the great outdoors for the next season...W.ww.....Winter.  

I found some bananas that my monkey didn't eat before they went brown so whipped up this recipe.  I have used it several times and it is always a winner.  Typically, if I am not making my own recipes, I am adapting one I have found. This one is an adaptation of Glutenfreechickie's. I used Almond flour to make it a grain light version, but really, you could likely use any combination of your favourite gluten free flours.  I meant to add a teaspoon of psyllium for a little extra fiber but forgot. You could also add flax.  I like to play with recipes and personalize them. If you adapt this recipe I would love to hear from you on how you adapted it.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 Cups Almond Flour
1/2 cup Sorghum Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp guar gum
2 eggs beaten
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (4 or 5 approximately)
1/4 agave nectar
1/2 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon oil
1/4 - 1/2 Cup of carob chips (or chocolate chips)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. mix all dry ingredients
3. add mashed bananas, eggs, applesauce, oil, agave, and carob chips, and mix well.
4. fill muffin tins/liners with batter.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Banana!