Saturday, October 13, 2012

Oil of Oregano - My Cold Busting Go To Remedy



With Autumn, comes cold season.  A couple times over the last few weeks I have felt the beginnings of a cold. This nasty tasting oil has become my go to solution whenever I feel a cold coming on. Consider yourself warned, this stuff tastes horrible.  My opinion though is that it works. And when something works to help me beat a cold I will gladly suffer through whatever it tastes like.  We have tried a couple different brands. They all taste bad, and some are worse than others.  I am not one to waste though, and so I am using a couple different brands right now. Husband will only use one - Joy of the Mountains. 
Son will not use it. I have tried a couple times to hide a drop in a cup of juice. But each time I do he crinkles his nose and tells me his juice has gone bad. I am not an expert on oils and certainly not this oil, but I do feel that it works to help me ward off a cold, or to help speed up recovery from a cold.

I little googling tells me that this oil has been used for many a year and for more than just treating colds.   

According to what I've read, there are two grades of of oregano oil. Essential oil of oregano is strictly for topical use and should never be ingested. Medicine-grade oregano oil from Origanum vulgare is an unadulterated oil that is safe to take internally.(http://www.oreganocures.com/articles49.html)


From http://www.healing-from-home-remedies.com/oregano-oil-health-benefits.html I borrowed (cut and pasted)the following information:

It has been regarded for the following properties:
  • Antibacterial: For mild food poisoning, stomach flu, diarrhea, colitis, gastritis, infected hangnails and splinters, cuts and scrapes, non-specific dermatitis, acne, and seborrhea.
  • Antifungal: For fungal infections, Athlete's foot, dandruff, psoriasis, rosacea, and Candida (due to presence of two phenolic fungitoxic compounds: thymol and carvacrol - the most active constituents).
  • Anti-inflammatory: For toothache and gum disease, dental absceses, mouth ulcers, insect & spider bites or stings , skin disorders - bruising, eczema, seasonal allergies, poison ivy and muscle pain.
  • Anti-parasitic: For ringworm and intestinal parasites.
  • Antiviral: For sore throat/pharyngitis, cold and flu-like symptoms, sinusitis, respiratory disorders - asthma, bronchitis, insect bites/stings, cold sores, and warts; herpes simplex virus type 1.
Oil of Oregano Contraindications and Cautions
  • Wait 2 hours after taking oregano oil before taking any pharmaceuticals
  • Do not use during pregnancy or lactation.
  • It may irritate sensitive skin (if irritation occurs, discontinue use).
  • Avoid in case of allergy to the Lamiaceae family of plants, also known as the mint family that includes many widely used culinary herbs, such as basil, mint, rosemary, sage, savory, marjoram, thyme, lavender, and perilla.
  • Avoid in cases of liver or kidney disease.
  • Do not use in high doses.
  • Keep out of the eyes.
  • A potential interaction may exist with blood thinners; therefore, do not use oregano oil if you are taking them.
Let me be clear. I am not telling anyone that they should use oil of oregano to treat anything.  What I am telling you is that I use it when I have a cold or feel a cold coming on and I feel that it works for me to reduce my symptoms, shorten the length of my colds, and ward them off completely if I catch it soon enough.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For best absorbtion, hold it under your tongue for several minutes.........if you can!! After a few times it gets easier :)

-Dad/Husband

Anonymous said...

-Sorry, i misspelled "absorption".....

-Dad/Husband

Valerie said...

You can take it in capsule for as well. I also add olive leaf in capsule form. Wonderful stuff... antiviral as well as antibacterial properties. It's my go to 1st line of defense. If you add red cyanne pepper capsules it will work better & faster.

Gluten Free Mom said...

Thanks for sharing Valerie. I had not heard of either of these yet. I will definitely be looking into them!