Saturday, October 20, 2012

Rice Wraps - Gluten Free/Dairy Free

One of the staples in our house is store bought rice wraps. I have been dragging my feet on trying to find another recipe to duplicate them....probably because I didn't want to get all excited for them and then fail.  I did try making flax & egg wraps but they weren't quite an exact replacement. The store bought ones are expensive, or fairly expensive in my opinion. I think we pay $3.99 for 5 wraps.  We go through quite a few.  It is my go to item for my lunch. When I'm running late, or have nothing (i.e. no left overs) to pack for my lunch, I grab 2 rice wraps and some Daiya and make a "grilled cheese" for lunch.I love them.
  
I decided it was time for me to find that recipe...or make a recipe.  One or the other, and I was determined to get it done.  I remembered seeing a recipe a while back for one that looked like it might be similar to what I was used to. Luckily, it was one of the first ones that popped up on my google search.  As usual, I didn't follow the recipe to a 'T', but it is certainly very very similar to glutenfreegirl's recipe.

Let me recommend that you get all your tools and ingredients together before you start mixing it up...all of them. I did not and ended up making a mess of cupboard handles...and my camera because this recipe calls for getting your hands messy.

Tools:
1 medium sized mixing bowl
measuring cup
measuring spoons
small plate
spoon
butter knife
large frying pan
parchment paper
rolling pin (or substitute..I used a large water glass)

Ingredients:
1 cup soghum flour
1 cup br. rice flour
2 tbsp psyllium
4 tbsp tapioca flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon guar gum
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 1/2 cups warm water



Technique:
1. Place all dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix together with a spoon.
2. Add the coconut oil...and this is where you get your hands dirty. Using your hands work the coconut oil into the dry ingredients.
3. Add the warm water a little at a time to the flour & coconut oil mixture.  You may not need to use all of it.  What you're wanting is a dough that is slightly sticky but firm enough that you'll be able to roll it out.
4. Glutenfreegirl's recipe calls for letting the dough sit for 30 minutes at this point. I didn't see this step and skipped it by accident...but it still turned out just fine.  From reading more of glutenfreegirl's recipe it seems that by letting it sit, the psyllium fibre gives the dough more elasticity, so worth a try.
5. Next, break the dough into pieces. I rolled it into 6 balls for larger wraps.
6. Place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper.
7. Using your rolling pin or alternate 'roller' roll the dough out to desired thickness.
8. I wanted mine to be a consistent size. So once rolled I placed a plate upside down on the rolled dough and cut around it with a butter knife.
9. Heat your frying pan up.
10 Transfer the rolled dough to the frying pan and cook on both sides (this won't take long)
11. Continue rolling and cooking remaining dough into wraps.
12. Once cooked I let them cool a bit and then transferred them to a large ziploc bag with parchment paper between each wrap, and then put them in the fridge.

These are amazingly close to the ones I buy at the store.  Husband tried them and gave them a 10 out of 10 for similarity to the store bought ones.  I have plans for these suckers. They don't know it yet but they will be consumed with hummus and spinach dip tomorrow.  I'm so glad I bit the bullet, and that I stumbled upon glutenfreegirl's recipe again.  These are easy, great tasting wrap that can be made at a fraction of the cost of my store bought ones.  Hallelujah.

No comments: