Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Chia Breakfast Pudding

Our family just got back from a long weekend visit with some family members we rarely see.  This family we visited is far ahead of us in their quest for healthy living, and every time we visit I feel like I'm staying at an expensive health retreat with fantastic meals there is no need to feel guilty about. I enjoy spending time with them as they are really good people and the bonus is that I learn a lot from them as well (Thanks T & D, had a great time!). They live a very healthy raw vegan lifestyle.

While staying with our family for the weekend Husband and I decided we are willing to take some baby steps towards this lifestyle. I have already cut out most meat and dairy from my diet, so going raw vegan isn't such a stretch for me. We plan on purchasing a dehydrator and have already started our first jar of sprouts thanks to the start up kit we so graciously received from our family.  But in the mean time, I am trying to incorporate some of the great recipes I learned this weekend into our menus.

The first recipe for me to attempt in our kitchen is Chia Breakfast Pudding.  It is so easy that I figured it would be a great no fail way to start. I also already had some chia seeds just waiting for me to find a way to use them.  


3 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tsp carob powder
1/2 tsp agave
1 cup milk (rice, flax, hemp...whatever you like)

Mix chia, milk, carob, and sweetener in a bowl.
Let sit for about 5-10 minutes while the chia seeds gel.
Add berries and enjoy for breakfast, or even a nutritious snack.

This would likely work great for pre-made breakfasts and could be kept in the fridge for a couple of days.

Chia in Mayan culture means strength. Chia seeds are well known today as a superfood, but what makes them so super?
They are high in antioxidants, fiber, protein, omega-3s and omega-6s, high in calcium, potassium, and iron, magnesium

I found the following list of health benefits of chia seeds at: http://www.thegardenbasket.ca/nourishing-news/the-amazing-health-benefits-of-chia-seeds/

  • ·       Increases energy levels
  • ·         Strengthens the immune system
  • ·         Helps the body absorb fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, K
  • ·         Increases endurance levels
  • ·         Helps with weight loss
  • ·         Normalizes blood sugar levels – great for those with diabetes
  • ·         Helps provide relief from arthritis
  • ·         Cleanses the colon
  • ·         Gets rid of toxins
  • ·         Prolongs hydration
  • ·         Retains electrolytes
  • ·         Reduce inflammation
  • ·         Helps to lower blood pressure
  • ·         Improves night rest and mood
  • ·         Lowers the risk of heart diseases
  • ·         Improves overall health
  • ·         Lowers cholesterol
  • ·         Improves acid-reflux
  • ·         Helps IBS
    Chia seeds don't have much of a taste, so they are great sprinkled on salads or thrown in smoothies.  The seeds do gel when they get wet, so they have a different texture to them, but I kinda like it.....and I really enjoyed this my chia breakfast pudding today for breakfast.





No comments: