Monday, November 19, 2012

Eva's Raw Vegan "Better than Ranch" Dip/Dressing (Gluten and Dairy Free)

Our family had an action packed, fun filled weekend.  We did some things we planned on (a birthday party for the nephews), and some things we didn't (replacing the suddenly malfunctioning kitchen faucet...cha-ching, cha-ching).  We also added some organization to our lives and put some shelving in our office/mudroom.  

One of those things I didn't expect was a very early birthday gift from my sister and her family.  It is awesome and oh so timely.  I don't know how they knew I'd be needing this, as our family has only just decided (and started) to try our hand at sprouting, but I got a totally awesome sprouting kit.  Right now, it's sitting on the back of our counter, but I hope to find a new home for it by either mounting it to the wall or mounting a shelf on the wall that it can sit on (we have a tiny kitchen, so need all the counter space for everyday food prep).  For anyone interested in the sprouting kit, it's by JFN.  So far I like it a lot, but I don't have a whole lot to base my review on.

This past week I tried a recipe I learned while visiting some raw vegan family members (you'll likely see more of these recipes in posts to come).  Son loves this dressing...in fact, we all do.  I've made it twice in the last week alone. 



1 cup raw cashews, soaked in filtered water for 2 hours and drained
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh apple cider vinegar
2 dates soaked in 1 1/2 cups of filtered water and then pitted
1/2 cup date soalk water (discard the rest of soak water or add it to a smoothie)
2-4 large cloves garlic
2 tbsp red onion
1 1/2 tbsp Herbamare
1 tbsp fresh continental parsley chopped finely
1/2 tsp fresh dill chopped finely
1 tbsp green onions chopped finely

1. place all ingredients except the fresh herbs into your blender and puree until smooth and creamy.
2. Stir through the herbs.
3. If using as a dip, place mixture in an airtight container and chill for about 2 hours to congeal and thicken before serving.
4. Or...you can eat it immediately. Up to you....
5. If using as a dressing, add about 1/2 cup - 1 cup of filtered water to thin out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! We've got a winner!
Thank you! Thank you!
This is OUTSTANDING!

So, after trying yours (awesome!), I was inspired to whip this up so I wouldn't have to cook, and have a pile of dishes (flying solo tonight). I didn't want to get a blender dirty, so I thought ...hmmm ...what if I threw a handful of dry roasted cashews into my coffee grinder (reserved for nuts and seeds). It worked! I threw the cashew "flour" in a bowl with some ACV and lemon juice, finely diced red onion, and garlic power, and Herbamare. A wonderful dressing emerged! And THEN I got to thinking, I am going to try this on the next batch of kale chips I make. So long Brad's!
~Dedicated

Gluten Free Mom said...

Sounds like you're enjoying this recipe as much as our family is! Glad to hear it. Let me know how the kale chips work out. :)