Friday, November 16, 2012
Mushroom Stroganoff - Vegan and Gluten Free
It has been time to spruce up the menu in our house for a while. We have been eating mostly meat free for some time now, but with no real commitment to this lifestyle. Well, if you have read this post, you will already know that Husband and I have decided to go vegan...and increase our raw vegan meals as well. Seeing as our menu needed some excitement, and we have made a commitment to going vegan, I set out to find something good to eat. I found a mushroom stroganoff recipe, and took it from there. I didn't have all the ingredients so I improvised a bit.
2 portabello mushrooms sliced
6 dried shitake mushrooms (soaked in a cup of hot water for 30 min and then sliced)
1 cup broth from mushroom soak
1 green onion, diced
1 garlic clove, diced
2 tbsp coconut oil (for sauteing)
3 tbsp vegan becel (for sauce)
3 tbsp gluten free flour ( I used sorghum)
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 cup dairy free milk ( I used rice milk)
pinch of thyme ( I didn't measure...)
1. in a frying pan, saute garlic, sliced mushrooms, & green onion with the coconut oil with 1/2 of mushroom broth
2. season sauted vegetables with herbamare
2. in a small pot, heat the vegan becel until it is melted.
3. add the flour, one tablespoon at a time to the melted vegan becel and whisk.
4. add the remaining mushroom broth and the red wine vinegar to the flour mixture and whisk
5. add milk and whisk some more, heating until thickened.
6. add sauce to the sauted mushroom mixture.
7. spoon mushroom stroganoff over bed of cooked rice or rice noodles.
Well, I enjoyed it - a lot. And the Husband rating was 9 out of 10. Folks, looks like we have a winner. This recipe will be added to our new meal rotation. Served of course with a raw vegan salad. The recipe for the salad dressing is for another post though...