Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Another Toothpaste Recipe (variation #3) - With Bentonite Clay


When my homemade toothpaste from this recipe ran out...I decided to try another. I have read a bit about the benefits of bentonite clay to remineralize teeth, and also have read a bit about how baking soda may be too harsh on the enamel, so thought I would give Keeper of the Home's recipe for bentonite clay toothpaste a try.  

As always, I made a few adjustments to Keeper of the Home's recipe:
  • 1/4 cup Bentonite Clay ( I purchased mine from Mountain Rose Herbs)
  • 3/8 cup boiling water 
  • 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt (or any unrefined sea salt that you enjoy)
  • 1 tsp Xylitol
  • 10-12 drops Peppermint essential oil 
I am a couple weeks in to using the bentonite toothpaste and have come to the conclusion next time I may combine the bentonite and baking soda recipe (variation #2).  I just don't feel that the bentonite is getting my teeth as clean as the baking soda did.  What I do like about this recipe is how it gently foams while brushing, and it doesn't taste salty.  Oh yes, and of course, it's flouride free, sls free, sugar free, gluten free, etc...  It's so nice to know what I'm using in my body, and be able to pronounce each and every ingredient.

No comments: