Friday, December 7, 2012

Eggnog - Dairy Free/Soy Free, and gluten free too.

I hate ice cream.  
No, I don't really hate ice cream. In fact, I think it sucks that I can't eat it anymore because I am dairy free.  But really, I think it was a bad choice for dessert tonight.
Here's where my hate for ice cream began this evening.  

Son: Did I eat enough?
Me: Eat enough for what hon?
Son: Eat enough for zert?
Me: You did great with your dinner, you can have yogurt for dessert.
Son: I want ice cream
Father: Sure you can ice cream.
Me: (Silently horrified.)

Flash forward to 2 hours later....

Son: I don't want to be tucked in....
....I want a longer story...  (toss and turn)
...Mom?  
Me: Yes....
Son: Mom, I love you.
Me: I love you too (thank god, that's his signature salutation before falling asleep which means I'm close to sneaking out of here....)
Son: (more tossing and turning.......)   Mom, that was a short story.   ....Mom, where's dad?..... Mom? Tell me about your day.
Me: Not now sweetie, maybe in the morning.
20 minutes of waiting....
....silence.....more silence....
Me: (He's been quiet for a few minutes. I better start sneaking out of here....oh, there's the door. Open it...step out......
Son: Mom? Where's dad?
Me: (oh crap.)
Son: Mom where are you?   Mom?
Me: (sneak back in room really quick before he freaks out that I left)  whisper: Yes? (trying to project my voice over to where I would normally be sitting while he falls asleep)
Son: Mom where are you?
Me: right here, good night.  (silently curse Husband for thinking ice cream was a good idea for dessert)
(wait five minutes standing by door...sneak out as quietly as possible.....and I'm out....check clock....9:40pm.  More than 1 hour after starting his last story, I'm exhausted.)  

And that's why I hate ice cream tonight.

But really, that's not what I planned on posting on tonight. Just an extra bonus.

Eggnog. Dairy free, soy free. Eggnog.


I've been having some trouble getting into the swing of Christmas this year.  I figured that eggnog would help make me feel a little more festive.  Only problem is, the only eggnog I can find in stores is either dairy or soy based.  I figured there must be a way to make my own dairy free, soy free alternative...and so I did a bit of searching.  I came across this post by Gluten Free on a Shoestring.  Sounded good to me but I didn't have all the ingredients so adapted it.



Ingredients
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 3 tbsp agave
  • 3 cups vanilla flax milk (or other dairy-free milk)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Instructions
  1. In a medium bowl, combine the egg yolks and agave. Whisk briskly until thickened. Set the bowl aside.
  2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, slowly heat the flax milk with the cinnamon, stirring frequently, until the cinnamon becomes fragrant (10-15 min). Remove the saucepan from the heat. Pour the milk very slowly into the egg yolk and agave mixture, whisking constantly. This is how we temper the eggs, so they don’t scramble. Return the mixture to the saucepan, and stir some more.
  3. Return the saucepan to the stovetop, and simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Don’t let it break into a full boil, or it will curdle (according to Gluten Free on a Shoestring's post) and starts to thicken.
  4. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the vanilla, nutmeg,  
  5. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.


So did it work? Well it tasted great. Not exactly like I remember dairy based eggnog tasting, but great. Son like it too strangely enough.  I'll likely be making another batch of this. Totally yummy.



No comments: