Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Knit Purl Journey

You may or may not have noticed that I have not been posting as often recently.  I have good reason.  I have been doing more making.  Yes, making.  Making of different kinds.  In previous posts I have written about my desire to get back to basics and simplify life. This means buying less, and making more.  I make my 'shampoo', my 'conditioning rinse', my dishwasher detergent, my clothes washer detergent, my all purpose cleanser, my toothpaste, my family cloth, and I do my best to make my family's meals from scratch. Yes, this takes time and effort. But I love it. I prefer to be totally exhausted at the end of the day and know that I did my best to protect my health and my family's health from parabens, triclosan, sodium lauryl sulfate, dyes, and the many other chemicals and synthetics that lurk in store bought products. 

My making has recently extended into clothing items.  Back when I had time and didn't know it (I mean before we had Son), I did a bit of knitting.  I had not attempted to complete a project since knitting Son's baby blanket before he was born.  I remember knitting furiously in the weeks before he was born thinking that I must have it done before he was born because after he entered this world there would be no time for such leisures.  I was right, so right.  Had I not finished it when I did, it would still be awaiting completion.  I remembered thoroughly enjoying knitting, and recently a coworker showed me a vest sweater of sorts that she had knit.  One look at that vest and I had the "I gotta knit it" feeling come over me.  For the next three weeks I borrowed 15 minutes here and 30 minutes there until the vest was complete.  I love this vest. It's totally snug and comfy with a touch of style.  


Around the same time that I was knitting my vest, a couple pairs of my slippers took a blow out, leaving my feet chilled and needing comfort.  This wasn't just any kind of blow out. This was the kind where my Made in China slipper soles literally cracked in pieces and could not be repaired or ignored.  I was ticked at these slippers for letting me down and vowed not to buy another Made In China pair again. In fact, I vowed not to buy another pair and promised myself to knit a pair.  I had not knit slippers before.  I searched and searched for the perfect pattern. Then, when I found it I promptly knit a pair for my dear Sister for Christmas.  They looked great and I had a hard time letting them go.  Then, Son liked them too and said he needed a pair. So I reworked the adult pattern into kid sized slippers that were less feminine and more his style.  He loves his too.  Then I set to work on mine.  I have totally altered the pattern to suit me (I do this with recipes too. I can't just follow instructions step for step. I find I always have to personalize my projects.)  Well, I love these slippers. 

While knitting these two projects I thought about the fact that my  blog isn't just documenting my life, it is documenting my journey to happiness. Let me explain. Other than spending time with my family and growing with them, I am at my happiest when I am making.  Not just making though, but making things that bring me to living with a conscience.  And while I knit, purled, I could feel the entrepreneurial juices begin to flow in my veins, with excitement for where this journey will take me. I'll be sure to continue to keep you posted along the path of my journey. But bear with me as my already limited time is stretched thinner while I continue to make and map my journey. I'm still here, just busy making.

3 comments:

Maman said...

Nice work. Putting my baby legs to shame.

syl said...

You are still the bomb....

Gluten Free Mom said...

Thanks Syl! I appreciate it...