Monday, February 4, 2013

Cheesey Sconewhiches - Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Soy Free




I have a favourite scone recipe.  It is gluten free and dairy free, and I love it.  I take no credit for it whatsoever. It is not my recipe.  I have it bookmarked on my computer and visit as often as I can. It's by Gluten Free Gourmand. 

These scones really are to die for.  Recently I decided to make them more of a lunch item by adding daiya to make them sconewhiches.  They were very good, but I think that next time I would a) be a bit more generous with the daiya, and b) omit the sweetener.

Heat oven to 425 degrees.
Mix together in a large bowl:


2 cups All-purpose Gluten-free Flour (I use 1 c. rice, 3/4 c. sorghum 1/4 c. almond)
1/3 cup sugar (I used 1/4 c. agave but would omit this next time for sconewiches)
1 Tbsp baking powder (make sure it's GF)
1/4 tsp baking soda 
1/2 tsp salt plus a pinch
1/4 tsp xanthan gum (if it's not included in your GF flour mix)

Cut into pieces and drop in:

6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter (I use dairy free vegan becel)

Cut the butter in with a pastry blender or two knives, coating the pieces with flour as you go, until the largest pieces of butter are pea-sized. Keep this mixture cold, chilling it in the refrigerator if the butter starts to soften.
Stir in:
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional) and/or (for sconewhiches I didn't use nuts or fruit)
1/2 cup dried fruit (optional)

Whisk together in a separate bowl:

3/4 cup cream (substitute unsweetened coconut cream if you are lactose intolerant)
1 egg
1-2 tsp orange or lemon zest (optional)


Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until the mixture starts to hold together, then gently knead the dough a few times with your hands. Depending on your flour mix, the dough may be very sticky. While this makes it difficult to handle, it is okay. If the dough seems dry and won't hold together easily, add 1-2 Tbsp more cream and knead it in.


Put the dough on a large baking sheet. Gently push the dough into a flat disk about one inch high. Cut into eight equal pieces and arrange them on the baking sheet about one inch apart. Brush some cream onto the tops of the scones. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one comes out clean.
http://glutenfreegourmand.blogspot.ca/2009/01/recipe-for-famous-scones.html

I made a few changes as you can see above in brackets. Also, before baking, but after kneading, I added about a 1/4 cup of Daiya non dairy cheese. Next time I'll likely add more than this (3/4 cup or more likely).  Also, instead of spreading the dough on a baking sheet, I lined a casserole dish with parchment paper and flattened the dough on top of that.

2 comments:

DynaDeb said...

I love scones! I am really looking forward to trying this recipe as I have decided to go gluten free and I have had to go dairy free. Thanks!!

Gluten Free Mom said...

I knew you would like this one!