Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Dehydrator Potato Chips

I tried making potato chips once before when we first bought our dehydrator. They turned out horrible. I thought that I could just thinly slice them, toss them with a little oil and salt and throw them in the dehydrator.  Not so.  You'll notice I didn't blog about this one. It was such a huge failure.

And then I came across this recipe and I said "ah-ha!". Of course. Lemon juice to stop the potatoes from turning black.  Genius.  Thank you Joyful Abode!
IMG_8055
Photo Source: http://www.joyfulabode.com/2012/07/05/lemon-pepper-potato-chipsdehydrator-recipe/


I gave the recipe a go and there are a few things I would change for next time, but still, they turned out great. Again, I changed the original recipe somewhat to personalize it.

Ingredients:
3 medium potatoes (peeled, cooked and cubed)
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1/2 cup of water
2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp coconut oil (I would actually use less next time)

Instructions:
1. Place all ingredients in a medium size bowl.
2. Using hand held blender, blend ingredients until it makes a paste. Add more water if it's too thick.
3. Place paraflex sheets in dehydrator trays.
4. Pour potato paste onto trays and spread as evenly and thinly as possible. (Makes enough for 2 trays)
5. Dehydrate at 135- 145 degrees for 6 hours.
6. Remove from dehydrator and break potato sheet into chips.
7. Store in airtight container.

This chips were a total hit with my family. They didn't last very long at all and left us craving more.  Now all I can think about is making more...and what flavour possibilities there are!

No comments: