Thursday, February 28, 2013

Why I Eat Dulse

Dulse is a sea vegetable.  More specifically (and to help you recognize it) it is a redish purple seaweed with a slightly salty taste.


Image Source: http://www.envirohealthtech.com/sea_vegetation.htm

I didn't like it when I was first introduced to it.  I couldn't get past the slight seaweed taste.  Then I tried it with salad dressing and have learned to love it.  I don't even need the salad dressing to eat it anymore.  I have heard that it tastes fantastic in soups and stir fries, but my family eats it on our salads - almost every night. The first time Son ate it, I thought he was going to spit it out, but he didn't. He chewed it up, said "mmm..yummy" and asked for more.  I love it when he gobbles up the healthy stuff.

As you may have read in my previous posts, I am almost vegan. Okay, so maybe not almost but I aspire to be vegan.  I try to limit my meat consumption to once per week and stick to organically raised chicken.  Having a low/no meat diet means I try to eat other high protein foods.  Dulse is one of those high protein foods. In addition to protein, it also contains almost every dietary mineral and is a source of vitamins A, C, E and B vitamins, calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc and iodine (source:www.livestrong.com/article/418798-the-benefits-of-dulse-seaweed/).

I have to say, now that I have grown to love this sea vegetable I understand why some people I know keep 55 pounds of it on hand.  It's delicious and so good for us. How do you eat your dulse?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"C" man loves his dulse - we send it to school wth him, and he devours every last shred.

Tonight, the "D" man tried it - to everyones' surprise - he loved it too.

Who knew? Veggies from the sea :)

Sister