Thursday, March 28, 2013

gRAWnola - Gluten Free, Soy Free, Corn Free, Raw, Dehydrator Recipe

I got an amazing granola recipe from my sister in law.  (Thank you, thank you, thank you Diane!)

I absolutely love this cereal. I made it last weekend and I've eaten it every day for a week.  It was simple to make and is absolutely amazing.  It's a dehydrator recipe and is cooked at a very low temp so still considered raw.

I modified the recipe a bit, as I always do.




Original Recipe:
I'm not sure what cookbook this was originally copied from.  I will post the info if I am able to find out.

My tweaked Recipe:
1 Apple
1 1/2 Cups Pitted Dates (I think this was about 10?)
1/3 Cup Maple Syrup
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tsp Cinnamon
2 Tsp Sea Salt
2 Cups Almonds (soaked in water for 2 hours, then drained)
1 Cup Cashews (soaked in water for 2 hours, then drained)
1 Cup Pumpkin Seeds (soaked in water for 2 hours, then drained)
1 Cup Sunflower Seeds (soaked in water for 2 hours, then drained)
1 Cupd Dried Cranberries

What to do:
1. Blend the dates and peeled/cored apple.
2. Add the maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Blend.
3. Add the nuts and seeds a little bit at a time, blending after each addition.
4. Add the cranberries. Blend a bit more.

The texture should not be smooth but rather crunchy and chunky.

5. Get your dehydrator trays out and line them with the paraflex sheets.
6. Spread the gRAWnola over the sheets.
7. Dehydrate for about 12 hours...maybe a bit longer at 107 degrees or lower.
8. Once they are dehydrated, break them into pieces and store them in jars in the fridge.

Excellent for breakfast or snacks.

Next time I think I will change up the ingredients, just for fun.  Maybe raisins and coconut? Maybe Goji berries, hemp seed, or dried blueberries.  The possibilities are endless and oh so exciting!


No comments: