Thursday, April 18, 2013

Gluten Free Dairy Free Raspberry-Blueberry Pie

A few weeks back we celebrated Nanna's birthday.  I made a lasagna for dinner (one of my favourite meals) and a raspberry-blueberry pie.  I tried a new recipe for the pie crust.  Of course, I googled until I found this website; a blog by a young lady with amazing skills.  I recommend you check out her blog.
I used two of her recipes (one for crust, the other for the filling) and altered them slightly.  Below is I Am Gluten Free's Recipe with my alterations.

http://www.imglutenfree.com/pie-crust/47/

Dry Ingredients
1/2 cup rice flour
1/3 cup potato starch
2 tablespoons sugar ( I used honey)
1 teaspoon xanthan gum (I used guar gum)
1 tablespoon cornstarch ( I used tapioca starch)
Wet Ingredients
3 tablespoons butter, melted ( I used coconut oil)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons butter, cold ( I forgot to add this...but it turned out ok!)
Heat the oven to 325 degrees, and position rack in center of oven. Use a glass unbuttered pie pan.  (I used a metal one...) Stir the rice flour, potato starch, sugar, xanthan gum (guar gum), and cornstarch tapioca starch together in a small mixing bowl. Set aside. Place the melted butter coconut oil in a separate bowl. Crack one egg in another separate bowl, and beat it with a fork. Beat in the apple cider vinegar. Pour the beaten egg and vinegar, into the dry mixture. Stir them in. add the melted butter coconut oil. Stir. Grate the cold butter coconut oil into the mix. Flatten the crust out on the pie pan. Pour your choice filling in, and put in the oven for an hour, or until crust is lightly browned. (I doubled the recipe and was able to put a top crust on the pie.)
And here is the filling recipe I used from this same blog.
4 cups frozen raspberries (I used 2 cups raspberries and 2 cups of blueberries)
1 cup sugar or ½ cup honey (I used honey)
1 tablespoon butter (I used coconut oil)
3 tablespoons cornstarch (I used tapioca starch)
Thaw the frozen raspberries (and blueberries). While the berries are thawing, prepare a pie crust. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put ¼ a cup of the juice from the raspberries (and blueberries) into a saucepan. Place the sugar/honey and butter (coconut oil) into the saucepan with the juice and bring it to a slow boil on medium/high heat.
Add the cornstarch (tapioca starch) and whisk it in until very thick. Fold in the raspberries and blueberries. Cool with a plastic wrap over it. (I'm not sure what the purpose of the plastic wrap was, but I skipped this step, and it turned out just fine.)
Pour the cooled mixture into prepared pie crust.

The result was a yummy, not too sweet raspberry-blueberry pie that has me longing for another pie. Perhaps I'll make another in the not too distant future.




No comments: