Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Home Made Deodorant

I switched a long time ago to a greener more natural deodorant. And when it went on sale I picked up quite a bit.  But it just didn't seem to be holding up to the test in recent months.  So last week I made my own.  I have been wanting to do this for a while, but with that stockpile I wanted to wait until it ran out. Well it didn't run out, but as I mentioned, it did stop working.  The new stuff works fantastic.  I smell beautiful even after a long day of sweating at the office.  I mean it.  I can almost hear music coming from my armpits, that's how good it smells!  
One day last week after just such a day Son caught me giving a sniff test to a shirt I had worn that day. I know, a little gross, but I had to know if it was working!  He asked to smell it too.  I know, this is kinda of strange, but really I like to save my 'no's' for more important issues, so I let him.  His reaction?: "mmmmmm, smells good mummy". Son is rather blunt. If something smells even slightly offensive, he is the first to say. My new deodorant has passed the test.


Recipe:
1/2 Cup organic coconut oil
1/4 Cup arrowroot powder
1/4 Cup Baking Soda
30 drops essential oil ( I used lavender and ylang ylang)

I melted the oil, stirred in the soda and powder and mixed until smooth. Then I added the essential oils.
Once the mixture had cooled and was getting a bit pasty I poured it into a repurposed old deodorant container.  If you don't have one of those though, you could always keep it in a small glass jar.

I am so impressed by this deodorant.  The only thing I might do differently next time is increase the arrowroot and decrease the baking soda just a bit.  I find if I apply it after shaving the soda stings just a bit, so decreasing the soda should help with that.  

There are so many homemade deodorant recipes out there.  I'm glad I've found one that works for me.

Oh...and why would I switch to a greener variety of deodorant?  Well, I've been reducing chemicals in my life...and therefore reducing chemicals in my body.  And who needs aluminum under their armpits.  Really, I can do without alzheimers.  Oh yes, and by making my own I have not only saved a little money, I know what's in it and therefore what isn't. It's nice to know I'm not applying chemicals, aluminum, or gluten on my skin.  

No comments: