Monday, June 17, 2013

And the Ants Came in on HotWheels...

This weekend, Son and I saw Ants on the carpet - about 6 of them in the span of just a couple minutes.  Not just any ants though - red ants.  Little critters are never welcome in our home, but I can't say that we've ever had a problem before, especially with ants.  "No problem" I said to Son, "I saw a solution to this on Pinterest, and we're going to make it!"  Well, Son was all over that.
Together, we mixed 1 cup of warm water, 1/2 cup of sugar, and 2 tablespoons of Borax.  If you don't have sugar, I'm sure that anything sweet would work.  The purpose is to attract the ants to the solution.  The Borax is the magic ingredient.  We mixed that up and then soaked a cotton ball with the solution and left it where the little critters were partying it up in a corner of our living room.  I checked on it about 20 minutes later and was instantly disappointed as I didn't see any ants drinking up the magic solution.  Ahhh...but then I went to pick up the cotton ball and instantly saw at least 20 ants scurry from under the ball.  They were just hiding out under there drinking up their cocktails and taking it back to their 'home' for their buddies to feast on as well. Well, by the end of the day the ants had all disappeared, and I haven't seen another yet.  My fingers are crossed that they have skitdaddled out of here....or perished.
Ok, so how did red ants come to inhabit a corner of my living room?  Well, on a Hotwheels car of course!  Son was playing out side with his Hotwheels collection earlier in the week on the deck.  We noticed red ants at the time and actually said "we have to be careful not to bring the ants into the house". Well, I guess all it takes is two, and two become ten and ten becomes 20, and so on.

Now I know that the borax and water solution isn't just a myth and it truly seems to work.  What I love about this solution, other than the fact that it works, is that there are no harsh chemicals in it....and I can make it from ingredients I already have in the cupboards.

No comments: