Saturday, June 1, 2013

I Chopped it Off.

I did it. Chopped it all off.  Well not me, but my very talented (but affordable) stylist did.

A few months ago I blogged about how I was growing my hair out to donate it.  Well, I reached the 2 year mark and couldn't stand it any longer. I love my hair long...but I also hate it long. It got caught under my body as I rolled over at night. It got stuck in son's fingers. It took forever to wash and dry.  It was getting old.

I had two goals. One was to wait until we had our family pictures done. The second was to wait until June.  Well, this past weekend we had our family photos taken.  And then I had the realization that I had reached one of my two goals.  Then I had a free time slot after work one night last week.  Well, the stars seemed to be aligning because when I called to make an appointment for said time slot, it was open.  After I booked the appointment, I almost cancelled, several times. I don't know why I have such an attachment to my hair, but I was reluctant to cut it suddenly.  Luckily I got it caught in the zipper of my sweater, and my frustration with its length returned and I did not cancel my appointment.

I am not the average woman.  I do not keep up with hairstyles, and I do not cut my hair more than once a year.  I am therefore not used to anyone but me washing my hair.  So when I sat in that chair, leaned back to the sink and let someone wash my hair, I felt like I had died and gone to heaven.  Then I was  beckoned to the stylist chair, my hair was put into a ponytail, and my stylist made the first cut.  Too late to turn back.  As much as I hesitated though, I don't think I would have changed my mind.  I realize that my hair is just hair and that it will grow back.  I also realize that my hair will be better worn by someone else.

So now, a ponytail sits on the counter drying.  It is a bit weird to walk by and see it just sitting there. ..and then look in the mirror and see it gone.

Interested in donating your hair?  Check out Pantene Beautiful Lengths.

There are a couple of organizations that accept hair donations. Here a couple more:

http://www.acvf.ca/index.php/our-programs/angel-hair-for-kids/
http://www.continentalhair.com/kids_wigs_program_ontario.htm

1 comment:

Cousin Lisa B said...

YAY You!! Good for you!! I too donated in February to Panteen Beautiful Lengths. Like you I was very much sick of it. Even in a ponytail it would get stuck behind my back sitting in a chair or in the car driving. So it was usually UP UP.

I hope to see pictures of the "new" you!! And yes, our hair will be better worn by someone else.

Good for you.