Thursday, July 25, 2013

Raw Carrot Cake Cookies - Truly Rawmazing! Vegan, Gluten & Dairy Free

So I was poking around Pinterest today and saw that someone I know had re-pinned a recipe for Raw Carrot Cake Cookies by The Tasty Alternative. I took a quick peak at the ingredients and how to's and decided that this was something I could quickly and easily pull together.  So as I begin writing this post, they are blended, mixed, rolled, squashed, and sitting nicely in our dehydrator. This recipe is a lesson in patience, as they take 12-15 hours in the dehydrator. Luckily I will be sleeping away most of those hours and will awaken to the delightful aroma of carrot cake cookies.  One thing I love about raw vegan recipes is that you can eat the dough with no worries. I did in fact taste this dough, and it left me wanting more.  I can't wait to taste them in the morning.  



Below is a copy and paste directly from The Tasty Alternative's blog, but I encourage you to visit her site as she has some great pictures...and plenty of other amazing looking recipes.


Ingredients 
-6.5 ounces of carrots, peeled then grated (3 medium) 
-14 soft dates, pitted and soaked in filtered water for an hour 
-4.5 ounces unsweetened shredded coconut
-1 cup sesame seeds
-1 teaspoon nutmeg (I used Pumpkin Pie Spice Instead)

How To
1.  In food processor fitted with the s-blade, add grated carrots and dates.  Blend well.  
2.  In another bowl, add coconut, sesame seeds, and nutmeg.  Mix well. 
3.  Add carrot and date mixture to coconut, sesame seeds, and nutmeg and with clean hands, mix well. 
4.  Spread out "dough" on a non stick surface, I use this (spray the mat with a little oil before you spread out the dough) and then make your desired cutouts.
5.  The dough is a little tricky to work with, but you'll get it.  My advice is to use a metal spatchula - slide on the cookie and then slide off (the slide action works well).  It took me a while to find my groove.  You can make any shape; I also made cute little carrot cake balls (see below)!  
6.  Okay so, place the cutouts in your dehydrator (on a mesh fitting) and dehydrate at 105 degrees for 24 - 30 hours.  Crank it up to 135 degrees for the last hour. I know this sounds like a long time, but this low temperature really preserves all the beneficial nutrition.  I have no idea how these would work in the oven, but please let me know if you try.  
**Instead of rolling and cutting out the cookies, I rolled into balls and squashed them on the dehydrator sheets to make them a) hopefully quicker to dehydrate, and b) allow me to fit all 4 trays in the dehydrator.

Notes
*These cookies don't get crispy hard like the store bought.  They are slightly chewy and soft.  However, you may be able to get that crisp cookies texture if you dehydrate longer.
*I put my dehydrator in the laundry room and just forget about it.  I make a batch at night and they are ready the following night. 
*If making the cute little carrot cake bites, dehydrate 105 degrees for 12-15 hours. 

Hope you enjoy these raw carrot cake bites...I think I will :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"someone you know" is curious to know if your little caveman loves them as much as her little cavemen.

Anonymous said...

"someone you know" LOVES these with Starbucks coffee when traveling!

Gluten Free Mom said...

I wouldn't say that Son loves them...but he did eat a few and didn't say "yuck" to them.
I did love them though. Might be time to make another batch!

Gluten Free Mom said...

Oh yes, and I would make a few changes to the recipe next time. I would use a little less sesame and a little more coconut. Yum.