Friday, October 18, 2013

GF Blueberry Muffins (Dairy Free/ Nut Free/ Soy Free)


Son started school in September, and we've been slung into the ongoing dilemma of what to pack for his lunches. While Son does not have to be gluten free, my kitchen does...and I do prefer him not to eat gluten if at all possible (if you want to know why, just read the book Wheat Belly). And of course, the school is nut free so that adds an additional challenge to our lunch making task.
I want Son to be involved in deciding what goes in his lunch, so I often ask him if he has any requests.  When I asked him this question last week while grocery shopping, he answered "blueberry muffins".   I think that is a fantastic idea.  I do like baking in the fall and winter months.  And I love creating new recipes.  I don't think I've made gf blueberry muffins before. I went in search of a recipe to adapt and came up with this one from wheatfreemom.com. I'll put my alterations in brackets.



1 cup cornstarch (1 cup Sourgum flour)
1 cup tapioca starch
½ tsp xanthan gum (1 tsp guar gum)
½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder (be sure to use gf baking powder)
2 large eggs

2/3 cup buttermilk (2/3 cup vanilla rice milk)
1/3 cup canola oil ( 2 tbsp oil + 100ml unsweetened applesauce)
½ cup white sugar (3 tbsp agave nectar)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups frozen wild blueberries

These muffins turned out fantastic. I can't wait to make them again. Son said they needed chocolate chips. Husband would probably agree.  


No comments: