Sunday, August 23, 2015

DIY Powdered Laundry Detergent

I have posted in the past on making homemade liquid laundry soap. It worked well, but it was a bit of a hassle to make.  Not a big problem, but just more work than I figured a powdered laundry soap would be.  

I love the cleaning power of my laundry stain stick, so I figured that creating a powder with the stain stick along with a couple of other green cleaning ingredients would be a little more simple for this time strapped gal.  

I have been using this recipe for months (more than a year at this point) and I love it! It works! I use this powder in my front loading machine, with cold water, and have never had a problem with it. It gets my clothes clean, costs very little, is VERY easy and fast to make, and is a fantastic green alternative to traditional store bought laundry detergents. This recipe will make enough for approximately 50 loads - using 1 tablespoon per load of laundry.

Ingredients:
1 x 50g bar of Glorious Life's Laundry Stain Stick
1 1/2 Cups Borax Powder
1 1/2 Cups Washing Soda (or Baking Soda if you can't locate Washing Soda)

1. Finely grate the laundry stain stick
2. Combine the grated stain stick, Borax, and Washing (or Baking) Soda and mix.
3  Add these ingredients to a jar (I like to upcycle jars from my recycling.)
4. Use 1 tablespoon per load.

Not only are the ingredients easy on the environment, but the packaging for them is as well. Each of the three ingredients is packaged with paper products. Store it in a recycled jar and the eco footprint gets smaller. No plastic! Yay!





No comments: